Connect Micropython to a Captive portal (walled garden) Wifi (ex. University, Organization or Public Wifi)

Discussion about programs, libraries and tools that work with MicroPython. Mostly these are provided by a third party.
Target audience: All users and developers of MicroPython.
mmike509

Connect Micropython to a Captive portal (walled garden) Wifi (ex. University, Organization or Public Wifi)

Post by mmike509 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:08 pm

Nowadays almost all universities or Organizations provide the Internet through a Captive portal (Walled garden network) Wi-Fi. The organization might implement a very common login page for authentication with their Captive Portal.

Considering that many students/hobbyists live or experiment in these locations, I was expecting someone to come up with a Wifi manager that is able to let the user connect to this type of Network. I can't seem to find any example or work on how to connect to a captive portal network. All example shows how to create a server portal to enter a regular router password. What if the Wifi network has no password but requires a web page login?

I would assume that the easiest way of doing so is by a continuation of the common wifi manager server method (ESP32, etc. as an Access point) and the wifi manager act like a micro VPN or relay all web content to the server page and the user uses their phone/computer browser (connected to the micropython access point) to enter the credentials.

Any clues or ideas?

ghawkins

Re: Connect Micropython to a Captive portal (walled garden) Wifi (ex. University, Organization or Public Wifi)

Post by ghawkins » Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:14 pm

In case anyone comes across this question - I replied to a similar question here - https://github.com/orgs/micropython/discussions/9264