rshell can't upload library

Discussion about programs, libraries and tools that work with MicroPython. Mostly these are provided by a third party.
Target audience: All users and developers of MicroPython.
Peugot206

rshell can't upload library

Post by Peugot206 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:24 pm

Hello forum users,

I still can't really wrap my head around on how to install libraries that are not in the upip manager.

I've been reading a lot on the forum and most people seem to use rshell. I am using an ESP32 with PyCharm. When I connect to the ESP32 `rshell -p COMX --buffer-size 512`I try to copy the library files (in this case from the IR library) using `cp -r ir_rx/ /pyboard/ir_rx/' but it doesn't seem to work, it gets stuck and I can't type anything anymore in the terminal.

Next to that the command 'ls -l' is already listing the library files while they are not on the ESP32, is it listing the files from my local computer itself? I thought I was now in the filesystem of the ESP32?

And one last question, since we are working with low resource controllers, when we copy a library in there, we also copy a lot of extra files we don't need, like test codes, images, readme's, etc. Is this normal, seems like a lot of memory waste? Or does every individual strip these files out manually?

Thanks for any help!

Roberthh

Re: rshell can't upload library

Post by Roberthh » Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:53 pm

rhsell shows the files of the board under the path /esp32 or /pyboard. And it's OK to copy only the files that you need to the target. Anything else wastes files space and slows down file access.
You may also try mpremote for copying files in and out. It has an interesting mount command, which mounts the PC directory into the file space of the board. That way you can run code from the PC without copying it to the board's file system.