mpy-dev-tools

Discussion about programs, libraries and tools that work with MicroPython. Mostly these are provided by a third party.
Target audience: All users and developers of MicroPython.
stefanh

mpy-dev-tools

Post by stefanh » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:55 pm

Hi,

if you are looking for some tools to optimize your workflow of developing with micropython, check this out:
https://github.com/stefanhoelzl/mpy-dev-tools

I wrote some scripts to mount my micropython device as fuse-filesystem, sync my source folder with the device and run scripts remotely.
All this tools can be used from command line or as modules from other applications.

Everything is very early alpha ;) but it works fine for my purposes. May some of you guy are interested in it.
I am also happy for some suggestions for improvement.

It also integrates very well with PyCharm, its just one click an my script runs on the device with all its dependencies.

Best,
Stefan

pythoncoder

Re: mpy-dev-tools

Post by pythoncoder » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:02 am

An interesting approach. I suppose you've seen Dave Hylands' rshell which does something similar but by different means https://github.com/dhylands/rshell.

Incidentally your __init__.py is incorrectly named __ini__.py
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.

mattyt

Post by mattyt » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:20 am

Your fuse library looks nice, I'll have to give it a proper try.

Probably worth mentioning that Nick Zoic has had a go at a very similar set of features with his mpy-utils library. Maybe you can compare notes? :)

Also, Damien has gone about solving the problem somewhat differently; he's mounted an external filesystem on the Micropython device. Check out PR3034 for the details. Still early days but it's a promising approach.

stefanh

Post by stefanh » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:22 pm

pythoncoder wrote:Incidentally your __init__.py is incorrectly named __ini__.py
Thanks, its fixed :)

My command line tools are mostly by-products, my main intention was to have libraries to automate interaction with the micropython device.
As I understood most of the other tools, they are mostly designed for manual interaction.
Thats why I am decided to go for my own tools.

dhylands

Post by dhylands » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:35 pm

rshell was also intended to be used for automation like things as well.

You can run rshell and either pass commands on the command line, or provide a script file with commands in it. I just figured I'd point that out in case anybody else is looking.