using Rshell with windows

Discussion about programs, libraries and tools that work with MicroPython. Mostly these are provided by a third party.
Target audience: All users and developers of MicroPython.
philwilkinson40

using Rshell with windows

Post by philwilkinson40 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:56 pm

I am running a short Micropython intro workshop. The workshop gets attendees to use Rshell to interact with a wemos D1 mini (esp8266 port).

There is a strong likelihood that people will show up at my next workshop with MS Windows installed on laptops so I thought I had better check Rshell works ok with non-Linux systems.

I installed rshell and pyreadline library through pip on an old laptop but rshell still failed to run.
I note the (reopened) issue # 17 which did indicate that others had managed to get rshell working with Windows at this point, while others failed.

Can anyone write a quick guide to how they got rshell to work on Windows? Any tricks?

OutoftheBOTS_

Re: using Rshell with windows

Post by OutoftheBOTS_ » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:54 am

I would be interest to hear if anyone has gotten rshell to work on windows as I couldn't make it go but have used mpfshell and ampy with ESP8266. Of course ESP8266 does have the webrepl where you can both use repl and upload files over a webpage hosted by the ESP8266.

philwilkinson40

Post by philwilkinson40 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:16 pm

Just a quick update to this thread. Particularly to help those who thought running a quick workshop would be a great way to introduce Micropython to others...
  • Linux users installed and interacted well with Rshell
  • Windows users managed to use MPFshell with the usual driver updates required
  • I could not get the mac users working with a single solution for both repl and file transfer.
  • webrepl is not really an option when you have a room full of micropython wifi-enabled boards as it is impossible to know which one is yours on the list of wifi access points!!
The workshop went smoothly after the painful set up stage.

I really think those new to Micropython would benefit from a painless IDE like MU, so perhaps it may be better to select boards that are compatible with the MU IDE.

OutoftheBOTS_

Post by OutoftheBOTS_ » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:44 pm

webrepl is not really an option when you have a room full of micropython wifi-enabled boards as it is impossible to know which one is yours on the list of wifi access points!!
Maybe before hand you could set the SSDI name of each board then put a sticker on that board with its name.

I have always wondered how it well it would work with a large number if wifi all using 2.4GHz in the 1 room, will they interfere with each other??