Smarthome firmware pysmartnode

Discussion about programs, libraries and tools that work with MicroPython. Mostly these are provided by a third party.
Target audience: All users and developers of MicroPython.
kevinkk525

Re: Smarthome firmware pysmartnode

Post by kevinkk525 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:29 pm

Sure I can share a few thoughts.

It depends on what you are looking for.

Pros:
esphome is great, works stable, got tons of supported modules etc. Also very easy deployment and ota update. Also they have multiple developers working on it.
pysmartnode is also great :D works stable and it's written in micropython, so you can easily extend it yourself with whatever module you like, doesn't even need to hook into the pysmartnode framework, could be whatever you wish to run on your device.

Cons:
esphome is difficult to extend, not only because it's written in C++.
pysmartnode has a lot less modules available, so you might have to write a driver for what you're looking for. Also a bit more difficult to deploy than esphome. The project has only one developer.

So for me personally it comes down to one simple question: Do I want to add a module that I write myself or am I happy with whatever esphome can offer for my components (or do I not have time/fun writing my own micropython module)?
(even though in many cases esphome can actually offer enough for my simple devices with just a temperature sensor, buzzer and led, I still use my pysmartnode project for those too but that's probably to be expected if you're the author :D )
Kevin Köck
Micropython Smarthome Firmware (with Home-Assistant integration): https://github.com/kevinkk525/pysmartnode