uMail - A lightweight SMTP client for MicroPython

Discussion about programs, libraries and tools that work with MicroPython. Mostly these are provided by a third party.
Target audience: All users and developers of MicroPython.
mikronauts

Re: uMail - A lightweight SMTP client for MicroPython

Post by mikronauts » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:28 pm

The issue appears to have been with MicroPython.

After flashing the latest build from

http://micropython.org/resources/firmwa ... 0abcf2.bin

umail worked again :)

ScotsDon

Post by ScotsDon » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:35 pm

I have fallen at the first fence. How do you set up the "import umail" on an ESP32 development board?

I am using uPyCraft from a Windows 10 PC to talk to the ESP32. I have flashed micropython to the board and run a simple micropython program to flash an LED on the board, so that works. I have downloaded the umail zip file to the PC from Github and extracted the files, which mainly consists of the umail.py python script.

But what do I do now??

ScotsDon

Post by ScotsDon » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:18 pm

OK I've got this fully working now, so ignore the previous post. For the benefit of any other novices, this is what you do:

1 From Github (address provided in this topic above), go to CODE and download the zip file. This contains the software.
2 Unzip it and place the contents in the "workspace" folder on your PC (I am assuming you are using uPyCraft IDE, which is very good).
3 In uPyCraft, open (File/Open) the umail.py file and Download it (Tools/Download). This installs it into the device folder.
4 In a python script, try "import umail". This should work.
5 Carry on with the other tutorials, which explain how to send an email. For me, this worked first time.

I must congratulate the author on a very handy little module. I will use it to notify myself via email of any changes to the parameters I will be monitoring. I may also set up a web server to monitor directly should I need to.

tom1

Post by tom1 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:37 pm

how to send via umail, attachments?