Following aims and requirements are set forth:
- To coordinate efforts for implementing standard library modules for MicroPython.
- Be testbed and proof of concept for implementing Python library not as a big monolithic blob unalienably installed with the interpreter, but based on the idea of separately distributed and installable individual modules - just in the same way as 3rd-party modules are distributed and used.
- To bootstrap prototyping support for using standard Python package infrastructure with MicroPython, like pip package manager, PyPI package repository, etc.
- To further develop "unix" port to be useful, and be testbed for idea of implementing as much as possible system integration modules in Python (using FFI (Foreign Function Interface) module), instead of C.
- To be implemented in such way as to be usable for MCU/baremetal ports of MicroPython too.
Initial RFC was in the ticket #405. Since then, number of modules were published on PyPi, from where they are installable using pip-micropython tool from the tools/ folder of the main MicroPython repository. Here's the list of currently published packages: https://pypi.python.org/pypi?%3Aaction= ... mit=search