ntpclient - uasyncio based NTP synchronization

Discussion about programs, libraries and tools that work with MicroPython. Mostly these are provided by a third party.
Target audience: All users and developers of MicroPython.
MostlyHarmless

Re: ntpclient - uasyncio based NTP synchronization

Post by MostlyHarmless » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:28 pm

tve wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:06 pm
I'm puzzled by the need to recalibrate every few seconds... Isn't the variation primarily due to temperature fluctuations?
I'm going to test with longer intervals, but keep in mind that we are talking about an R/C oscillator in an environment of unknown cleanliness. Any amount of flux residue on the PCB can wreak havoc on that when pulling an adjacent line low or high or the cat just sneezing next to it.

But I agree, it does sound a bit too aggressive.

MostlyHarmless

Post by MostlyHarmless » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:22 pm

MostlyHarmless wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:28 pm
tve wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:06 pm
I'm puzzled by the need to recalibrate every few seconds... Isn't the variation primarily due to temperature fluctuations?
I'm going to test with longer intervals, but keep in mind that we are talking about an R/C oscillator in an environment of unknown cleanliness. Any amount of flux residue on the PCB can wreak havoc on that when pulling an adjacent line low or high or the cat just sneezing next to it.

But I agree, it does sound a bit too aggressive.
TL/DR:
I checked and for now I'm going to keep the 2 second interval for re-calibrating the 8266 using system_rtc_clock_cali_proc().

Long version:
The source code for that function is not open source. The function only appears in header files and libmain.a of the SDK, so I cannot verify any of the below by inspecting the code.

From what I could find out the cali_proc is using the XTAL based high speed CPU to measure the interval of the RTC clock source. This interval is expressed in microseconds as a fixed point binary value with 12 decimal bits. In my case the clock source is the internal 150kHz oscillator. So 1 million microseconds divided by 150,000Hz is 6.6667us times 4096 (12 bits to the left) is 27,306. The actual return value of system_rtc_clock_cali_proc() on my esp8266 varies from 25,500 to 25,650 within 20-30 seconds without significant changes in the environment or workload. Which means that my oscillator is wildly jittering around 160kHz.

The esp8266 doesn't really have a full RTC. At least not one that keeps date and time. MicroPython simulates one. There is a counter that is increased automatically with each pulse on the clock source. So that counter is incremented 150,000 times per second (well 160,000 times in my case). The current counter value is retrieved with system_get_rtc_time(). This function (also hidden in the binary blob libmain.a) only returns uint32, so it will overflow in a little less than every 8 hours (this math matches the comments in ports/esp8266/machine_rtc.c). To internally calculate the number of microseconds since epoch the MicroPython RTC simulation remembers a "delta" and the current "calibration" in RTC memory. "delta" is initially calculated on RTC.datetime((time-tuple)). When later RTC.datetime() is called to get the current time, MicroPython internally calculates the number of microseconds since 2000-01-01 by multiplying system_get_rtc_time() with the calibration value and adding the delta. It also has logic to deal with the overflow, by moving delta forward by 4 billion times calibration microseconds when it detects the RTC counter has gone backwards.

Doing the re-calibration every 2 seconds seems to provide enough averaging over the general jitter to make the clock "only" wander off by up to 50ms between NTP server polls. This easily doubles or more when using 10 second intervals. And that while using a local, low-latency NTP server.

This ntpclient implementation for the esp8266 is certainly "better" than using ntptime every 15-20 minutes. Especially since it keeps the clock within some limits and most importantly monotonic. The results are definitely not as good as the ones achievable with an esp32. You get what you pay for.

Regards, Jan

tve

Post by tve » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:31 am

Interesting, thanks for posting!

kalumi

Post by kalumi » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:52 am

Hello,
i use ntpclient in my esp8266 board, Why do the following errors occur?
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "uasyncio/core.py", line 1, in run_until_complete
File "ntpclient_base.py", line 120, in _adj_task
AttributeError: 'RTC' object has no attribute 'calibrate'
After NTP timing, record the timestamps and system ticks, and then pass the
Would it be more accurate to record the time stamp of the system in the following way?
nowStamp = ntp_stamp + (time.ticks_ms() - ntp_ticks

Thanks!

kalumi

Post by kalumi » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:03 am

It is better to call NtpClient in timer interrupt. If it is called as a task, if 8266 generates timer interrupt, NtpClient will be inaccurate

MostlyHarmless

Post by MostlyHarmless » Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:38 pm

Sorry for the delay, had limited time for a while and hobbies had to take a back seat.
kalumi wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:52 am
Hello,
i use ntpclient in my esp8266 board, Why do the following errors occur?
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "uasyncio/core.py", line 1, in run_until_complete
File "ntpclient_base.py", line 120, in _adj_task
AttributeError: 'RTC' object has no attribute 'calibrate'
That is because that function never made it into the master branch of micropython and you did not build your own firmware with the patch applied.

At this point I am no longer maintaining public branches for esp8266 or esp32 with the needed functionality for this ntpclient module. I saved the esp32 related changes as a diff in the ntpclient repository. But the minimal traction this discussion and the related pull request got indicates that there is not enough interest in accurate time keeping on these board types.

Since I am using this ntpclient in my applications I will try keeping the patch up to date, so that it will apply to future versions of micropython. But at this point I don't see much use in maintaining an up to date branch on github, that anyone can cherry-pick from.

Best Regards, Jan