Good micropython IDE to debug on linux ?

Discussion about programs, libraries and tools that work with MicroPython. Mostly these are provided by a third party.
Target audience: All users and developers of MicroPython.
Dr.Methyl

Good micropython IDE to debug on linux ?

Post by Dr.Methyl » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:04 pm

Hi,

I am a newbie and I am looking for a IDE with the debug tool to work on micropython pyboard lite and ESPs.

Everything I tried the debug tools with an IDE, it tells me it cant find the librairies...

I tired to install the uPycraft but its only for Ubuntu 16 and I have 18. It cannot run... I also tried to compile from source but does not work :(

thnx in advance

DrMe

jimmo

Re: Good micropython IDE to debug on linux ?

Post by jimmo » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:00 pm

Might be worth clarifying what you mean by "debug tools". There is no line by line debugger for MicroPython (like pdb or gdb).

But if you're looking for tools like a way to deploy code or access the serial console, then yeah upycraft, thonny, pycharm etc.
I use sublime text with a combination of pyboard.py, miniterm.py and rshell.
Dr.Methyl wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:04 pm
Everything I tried the debug tools with an IDE, it tells me it cant find the librairies...
Which IDE? What libraries?
Dr.Methyl wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:04 pm
I tired to install the uPycraft but its only for Ubuntu 16 and I have 18. It cannot run... I also tried to compile from source but does not work
What didn't work? Was there a compiler error?

Dr.Methyl

Post by Dr.Methyl » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:44 pm

Which IDE? What libraries?
Hello maybe I don't speak correctly but when I start the debug tool from an IDE it tells me that it can't find the module "machine" for example. At the first line of code where its written "import machine" .
What didn't work? Was there a compiler error?
Concerning the compilation of upycraft : the compiler gives me an error because it needs the zlib version x.x and it can't find it in ubuntu 18. The main problem is I installed all zlib packages and I have higher version of zlib and the compiler needs the exact version x.x of zblib. I tried the backport but I don't want to mess up with old packages ...

Precompiled program from github gave me the same error...

Does anyone tried and succeed to make it working on Ubuntu 18 ?

jimmo

Post by jimmo » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:46 pm

Dr.Methyl wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:44 pm
Hello maybe I don't speak correctly but when I start the debug tool from an IDE it tells me that it can't find the module "machine" for example. At the first line of code where its written "import machine" .
This is likely because it's trying to run the code in regular Python, not on the actual device.