Use of the display in F769Disco

Discussion about programs, libraries and tools that work with MicroPython. Mostly these are provided by a third party.
Target audience: All users and developers of MicroPython.
Destruktor7000

Use of the display in F769Disco

Post by Destruktor7000 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:15 am

Hi
I built and run MicroPython on STM32F769-Disco. Will micropython allow me to use display from the kit?
I would also like to ask about the possibility of adding libraries from Python, namely the PyOBD library.
I'm just starting to work with MicroPython, thanks in advance for your answer :)

jimmo

Re: Use of the display in F769Disco

Post by jimmo » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:45 pm

Destruktor7000 wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:15 am
I built and run MicroPython on STM32F769-Disco. Will micropython allow me to use display from the kit?
This has come up a few times... people have got this working. It would be very cool to see proper support for it upstream (and the similar display on many of the other F7 and F4 DISCO boards).

Two threads that have talked about this recentlyish...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6312
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4718
(including some starting points for MicroPython support)

The summary is:
- ST provide a driver for it, but it isn't trivial to integrate with MicroPython without some work
- It needs a relatively large framebuffer, so you need to use a large chunk of the sdram on the board for this and therefore you need to prevent MicroPython from using the sdram for the heap (this is mostly just a configuration option)
- It'd be nice to have a driver that worked across the range of disco boards (I don't know how similar these LCD modules are)

And as I've said on a few of the threads now, I have one of these boards, would love to see it supported... just haven't found the time myself :(
Destruktor7000 wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:15 am
I would also like to ask about the possibility of adding libraries from Python, namely the PyOBD library.
Many pure-Python libraries will work, but something like PyOBD I guess would include specific code to access the OBD interface, so that would have to be adjusted to use MicroPython hardware interfaces (using the CAN module I guess?). But other Python code that just does message assembly and parsing etc should be re-usable in some form.

Destruktor7000

Re: Use of the display in F769Disco

Post by Destruktor7000 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:47 pm

Thank you very much for the reliable answer, unfortunately, many attempts but I was unable to start the display in this way.
This topics are for F746, there are slight differences beetwen this kit and my . I tried to upload F7DISC versions from a clean project instead of F769DISC, but even that does not work.