Recommended Plugin for Visual Studio Code

Discussion about programs, libraries and tools that work with MicroPython. Mostly these are provided by a third party.
Target audience: All users and developers of MicroPython.
Franky123

Recommended Plugin for Visual Studio Code

Post by Franky123 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:30 pm

What is your recommendation for a working and stable MicroPython plugin for Visual Studio Code on Windows 10?

I tried the Pymakr plugin, but it does not work, it does not recognize any serial ports, I only get the message Found 0 serialports. :(
But my ESP32 module itself works, I can access the REPL via a terminal program or with Thonny.

But I would like to use Visual Studio Code, because I have all the advantages there.
Thanks for all recommendations.

Franky123

Re: Recommended Plugin for Visual Studio Code

Post by Franky123 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:06 pm

To answer myself:
I recently had more success with the Pymakr Plugin for Visual Studio Code, the plugin works so far.

I reinstalled the Pymakr plugin and did not change anything in the default settings at first.
Then I searched for the corresponding COM port in the Windows Control Panel, which belongs to my ESP32 board.
Then I remembered the device description and switched back to Visual Studio Code.

Then I changed the manufacturer text of the virtual com port (in my case Silicon Labs) in the first line of the global json configuration file under autoconnect_comport_manufacturers, so this part of the json file looks like this now:

Code: Select all

"autoconnect_comport_manufacturers": [
    "Silicon Labs",
    "Pycom",
    "FTDI",
    "Microsoft",
    "Microchip Technology, Inc."
]

cable134

Re: Recommended Plugin for Visual Studio Code

Post by cable134 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:37 am

Another one hint.