IDEs (PyCharm, NetBeans, etc.) for MicroPython

Discussion about programs, libraries and tools that work with MicroPython. Mostly these are provided by a third party.
Target audience: All users and developers of MicroPython.
stijn

Re: PyCharm or NetBeans with pyBoard.

Post by stijn » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:43 am

Pardon my ignorance but does PyCharm hava any documentation to extension points/API/whatever needed to make it work with a non-standard python distribution? I.e. does it just expect there is a working inspect module, or how does it retrieve all info it needs?

dastultz

Post by dastultz » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:49 pm

You can set up a given project to use one of many Python installations. So theoretically one can produce an installation that reflects what is available on the Pyboard or whatever your target is.

/Daryl

stijn

Post by stijn » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:53 pm

dastultz wrote:You can set up a given project to use one of many Python installations.
I'm aware of that, but what are the requirements of such installation? Does it have to be CPython-like, must it support an inspect module, or in other words what mechanims does PyCharm use to go from the code you enter to providing code completion/documentation?

dastultz

Post by dastultz » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:33 pm

Sorry, I don't know.

/Daryl

dastultz

PyCharm or NetBeans with pyBoard.

Post by dastultz » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:54 am

Here it is! pyb.py

https://github.com/dastultz/micropython_pyb

I'm sure it's not perfect, open an issue and I'll fix it.

/Daryl

platforma

Post by platforma » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:46 am

Nice work Daryl. Is this autogenerated or you have written it by hand?

dastultz

Post by dastultz » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:47 am

Unfortunately it was done by hand. I took the rst docs, did some reg ex replacement, then edited the rest. I don't expect the API will change much so shouldn't be a big deal to improve it manually.

/Daryl

platforma

Post by platforma » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:40 pm

So long as you're prepared to maintain it separately. It would have been a great addition to the project if we had a utility for generating this on demand. The API might not change much, but I suspect it will change nonetheless!

askvictor

IDE or debugger for micropython?

Post by askvictor » Sat May 14, 2016 4:02 am

Hi,

I'm trying to find if there exists, or if anyone is working on an IDE for micropython, specifically including a debugger. While I'm looking at this for ESP8266 hardware, it would no doubt be great for any board. My dream/wishlist is that such an IDE would be quick and easy for a beginner to get running - not messy configuration, and no command-line if possible. Features that I'd consider essential are: file syncing to/from the device and an ability to set breakpoints and inspect variables. Are these feasible for a micropython target? I'm aware file syncing would be slow over a serial connection, but should still be possible. What about breakpoints? I notice that pdb is only a dummy module at this point. Integration with an existing IDE (such as pycharm, eclipse or VS Code) would be ideal I guess.

pfalcon

Re: PyCharm, NetBeans or other IDEs with pyBoard.

Post by pfalcon » Sat May 14, 2016 11:14 am

Please search for existing topics first.

The current best lead is PyCom's (LoPy and other projects) IDE which they promised to open-source (i.e. make it possible to add support for other boards). I'm personally not interested in IDE and don't follow this matter further (beyond asking them if they plan to open-source it and getting affirmative answer). Community members who're interested in IDE should gather together, form a critical mass, and follow this matter.
Awesome MicroPython list
Pycopy - A better MicroPython https://github.com/pfalcon/micropython
MicroPython standard library for all ports and forks - https://github.com/pfalcon/micropython-lib
More up to date docs - http://pycopy.readthedocs.io/