Geekcredit "chinaboard" knockoff load problems

All ESP8266 boards running MicroPython.
Official boards are the Adafruit Huzzah and Feather boards.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP8266 board.
deshipu

Re: Geekcredit "chinaboard" knockoff load problems

Post by deshipu » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:33 am

I also think that it's not wise to terrorize them on social media. They do great job designing new stuff and documenting it (even when you prefer to buy Chinese clones of all that, remember where it was initially designed). I just don't think MicroPython is interesting for them. They have invested a lot in the whole Arduino tooling and libraries, they have experts and documentation for that, and they have a huge user base using it. Investing in building a completely new ecosystem, writing new libraries for all the products they sell, or even keeping the docs up to date doesn't seem justified from the business point of view.

You might think that most of their work is selling the boards, but that's not true. In fact, most of the everyday work they do is user support, and to deal with MicroPython, they would need to train their support staff to deal with a whole new set of issues.

Ridley Walker

Post by Ridley Walker » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:47 pm

@deshipu

It's known, variously, as "the cost of doing business. You have to run as fast as you can just to keep up, "etc.
How many buggy whips have you bought lately?
If adafruit's map going forward doesn't include microphthon They may regret it, but it is their plan - and their risk.
i certainly would not try to second guess them.

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:03 am

Perhaps the answer is for someone with some clout at Adafruit (@Damien) to request that they point to Micropython documentation which will be maintained. It would save Adafruit some work trying to keep up with a project still under development.
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.