Connect ESP2866 with the FeatherWing OLED

All ESP8266 boards running MicroPython.
Official boards are the Adafruit Huzzah and Feather boards.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP8266 board.
colinodowd

Connect ESP2866 with the FeatherWing OLED

Post by colinodowd » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:21 am

Hi,

I am attempting to follow these instructions to connect my ESP2866 with the FeatherWing OLED: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-ole ... thon-setup

"Before continuing make sure your board's lib folder or root filesystem has the adafruit_ssd1306.mpy, adafruit_bus_device and adafruit_framebuf files and folders copied over."

Should a drive be popping up when I plug in the device? I am not sure how I should be transferring the files to the board.

jimmo

Re: Connect ESP2866 with the FeatherWing OLED

Post by jimmo » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:47 pm

Hi,

Generally any circuitpython instructions will only apply to the boards based on the SAMD and NRF chips. Adafruit have stopped supporting the ESP8266 because it cannot support the USB drive feature that is fairly important to circuitpython.

You can read more about it here, and there are some instructions on how to transfer files to the board using ampy.
https://learn.adafruit.com/welcome-to-c ... or-esp8266

colinodowd

Post by colinodowd » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:09 am

@jimmo I have got ampy up and running and am now able to import all 3 of the files onto the ESP8266 board. In putty, I am able to import the adafruit_framebuf and adafruit_bus_device libraries but when I try to import the adafruit_ssd1306.mpy I get a message saying incomaptible .mpy file. I can see that the .mpy is on the board through the ampy ls command.

Any ideas?

Thanks

jimmo

Post by jimmo » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:37 am

.mpy files are built for a specific version of MicroPython (or CircuitPython). So you'll need to use the exact version of CircuitPython that that .mpy file was built for. Or you'll need to find a version of the mpy file that matches your version of CircuitPython.

Probably the second is easier -- can you look through the release history for the circuitpython library bundle?

(Sorry I wish I had more specific advice but I'm not very familiar with the CircuitPython side of things)