Fingerprint unlocking electronic lock based on ESP8266

All ESP8266 boards running MicroPython.
Official boards are the Adafruit Huzzah and Feather boards.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP8266 board.
Jackli

Fingerprint unlocking electronic lock based on ESP8266

Post by Jackli » Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:40 am

I recently saw an article about a simple fingerprint unlocking electronic lock project article, and I really want to make a change according to this article. The article is using a fingerprint sensor module, and I would like to change it slightly here. A fingerprint sensor module is not very cheap, and I wanted to make the most of the resources at hand to complete the project. So I came up with the idea of using a touchscreen display to simulate fingerprint unlocking. Although the actual touch screen doesn't do fingerprint recognition, I wanted to find a way to replace this recognition and make it "fingerprint recognition" with something else.
I wonder if anyone can understand what I'm trying to say?

jimmo

Re: Fingerprint unlocking electronic lock based on ESP8266

Post by jimmo » Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:10 am

Jackli wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:40 am
I wanted to find a way to replace this recognition and make it "fingerprint recognition" with something else.
Sorry not quite sure what you're asking? Do you have a suggestion for what "something else" might be... a touchscreen isn't going to be able to read a fingerprint, but you could, for example, type in a PIN code or something. But that's not fingerprint recognition anymore.

Jackli

Post by Jackli » Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:08 am

jimmo wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:10 am
Jackli wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:40 am
I wanted to find a way to replace this recognition and make it "fingerprint recognition" with something else.
Sorry not quite sure what you're asking? Do you have a suggestion for what "something else" might be... a touchscreen isn't going to be able to read a fingerprint, but you could, for example, type in a PIN code or something. But that's not fingerprint recognition anymore.
Yes, I know that LCD is unable to do fingerprint recognition, so I want to find a way to replace the real sense of fingerprint recognition, looks like fingerprint recognition to unlock, but in reality, is unlocked by other methods.

jimmo

Post by jimmo » Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:42 am

Jackli wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:08 am
Yes, I know that LCD is unable to do fingerprint recognition, so I want to find a way to replace the real sense of fingerprint recognition, looks like fingerprint recognition to unlock, but in reality, is unlocked by other methods.
Sorry I'm still not quite getting it -- you could of course use the touch screen to detect that a finger is there... (i.e. using the touch screen as fancy button)

But I'm not sure what you mean by "unlocked by other methods".

Jackli

Post by Jackli » Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:01 am

What I mean is that from the outside it looks like the electronic lock is unlocked by the fingerprint, but in reality it is unlocked by other methods. For example, if an invisible button is added to the place where the finger is placed, it looks like the fingerprint is unlocked from the outside, but actually, the button is triggered to make it unlocked.

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:48 am

What puzzles me is that fingerprint sensors seem to be cheaper than touchscreens.
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.

Jackli

Post by Jackli » Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:11 am

pythoncoder wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:48 am
What puzzles me is that fingerprint sensors seem to be cheaper than touchscreens.
Yes, but the touch screen is what I already have I don't need to buy separately, the fingerprint sensor I need to buy additionally, but now it seems to be the only way to buy a fingerprint sensor.

williamhenrick

Post by williamhenrick » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:49 pm

Yeah, you have to buy a new fingerprint sensor, if you want to add this security to your project. It's quite cheap plus they have a memory to store up to 100 fingerprints in their EEPROM. Easily interfaceable with microcontrollers.