Won't wake up from Deep Sleep

All ESP8266 boards running MicroPython.
Official boards are the Adafruit Huzzah and Feather boards.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP8266 board.
davef

Re: Won't wake up from Deep Sleep

Post by davef » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:18 pm

Looks like someone is having grief. viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7057&start=10

Christian Walther

Post by Christian Walther » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:03 pm

dhust wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:41 pm
Another interesting thing is that the board does reset, but only once, because the LED on the board flashes after the amount of time I set for deep sleep. I've changed it from 3 seconds to 15 seconds and the LED flashes at the correct time. So why would the board reset but the program not run again?
This sounds similar to what was discussed at viewtopic.php?t=8383#p47626 and in the GitHub issue linked there.

davef

Post by davef » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:58 pm

Wow, that Github issue makes me wonder how we ever get lucky enough to get these dev boards to work. Thanks for posting it, lots hints for when my NodeMCU boards arrive.

dhust

Post by dhust » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:27 am

davef wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:14 pm
Downloaded a ESP-12F datasheet but it is not the same PCB layout as yours. Who made your board? Have you got a Linux machine?
It might be the development board that I snapped it into that is throwing off the looks. I looked at a datasheet and the pins seem to be named the same. It also looks the same too. Might be an ESP-12E though but I guess that's just an antenna difference.

davef

Post by davef » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:35 am

My attention was diverted to the 8pin connector, I now see that the ESP-12? is plugged-in.

After reading the Github issue looks like you need a schematic of that dev board and work out how all the GPIO are really hooked-up.

Good luck!

dhust

Post by dhust » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:10 am

Christian Walther wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:03 pm
dhust wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:41 pm
Another interesting thing is that the board does reset, but only once, because the LED on the board flashes after the amount of time I set for deep sleep. I've changed it from 3 seconds to 15 seconds and the LED flashes at the correct time. So why would the board reset but the program not run again?
This sounds similar to what was discussed at viewtopic.php?t=8383#p47626 and in the GitHub issue linked there.
Yeah, that sounds dead on. So now what? Buy random boards off of Amazon and hope they work? Seriously, I have no idea what I should buy now.

davef

Post by davef » Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:33 am

Buying random boards off Aliexpress didn't work for me. There appears to be lots of rev 1 chip out there in ESP32 boards. Only by going to a local Micropython meeting did I find out that a bunch of boards that another attendee had had rev3 chips in them. So, I ordered some of those from Aliexpress.

So, now to spend more countless hours seeing if they are easier to work with!

A solution could be a maintained list of different boards that people could up-vote or down-vote like Stack Overflow.

williamhenrick

Post by williamhenrick » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:56 am

Yeah thanks to open source stuff, now we have a lot more options, boards, revisions, vendors. That's why I love Embedded Systems a lot.
Last edited by williamhenrick on Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

dhust

Post by dhust » Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:26 pm

williamhenrick wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:56 am
Yeah thanks to open source stuff, now we have a lot more options, boards, revisions, vendors.
Unfortunately, this also leads to companies making boards with alternative parts to make things a bit less expensive at the cost of things not working properly, or companies not following specs and doing things slightly different.

dhust

Post by dhust » Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:29 pm

davef wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:33 am
Buying random boards off Aliexpress didn't work for me. There appears to be lots of rev 1 chip out there in ESP32 boards. Only by going to a local Micropython meeting did I find out that a bunch of boards that another attendee had had rev3 chips in them. So, I ordered some of those from Aliexpress.

So, now to spend more countless hours seeing if they are easier to work with!

A solution could be a maintained list of different boards that people could up-vote or down-vote like Stack Overflow.
It could work but also might be a bit difficult. I bought some chips from Amazon and used the same development board as a person on there. Theirs work, mine do not. Great ratings but for some reason all five of mine I can't even connect to. Well, one time I got one to connect, then tried it again a few seconds later and it didn't. Weird and annoying.