Which board for deep sleep?

All ESP8266 boards running MicroPython.
Official boards are the Adafruit Huzzah and Feather boards.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP8266 board.
dhust

Re: Which board for deep sleep?

Post by dhust » Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:25 pm

JennaSys wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:27 am
dhust wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:40 pm
I wasn't able to erase the device using

Code: Select all

esptool.py --port COM15 erase_flash
Any idea why that might be?
The only reasons I can think of why it wouldn't work would be that it wasn't going into programming mode, there was an issue with the driver, or it was on a different port. I know with some drivers it can change com ports if even if you just plug it into a different USB port. Other than those, it should work. Was it a plain ESP-12F with a FTDI adapter, a dev board like NodeMCU with a CH340 or CP2102 UART bridge, or something else?
The datasheet they gave me had me pull too many pins to high or low. A video I watched reduced that number and it ended up working. Thank goodness. Unfortunately, it deep sleeps at 400uA, but that's also with a power led being lit up on the development board. Hopefully, I can get it down to the double digits without the board.

dhust

Post by dhust » Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:27 pm

JoeHinson wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:28 am
In case you wouldn't mind considering a new board, please look into this new one: Cricket by ThingsOnEdge (https://www.thingsonedge.com/)
Geez, 0.5uA! That's crazy. Fairly expensive board for only a couple inputs, but definitely worth looking at. Thanks. Do you know if it comes out of deep sleep ok and reruns the program on the chip?

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:07 am

I would consider a Pyboard. These meet their spec of 6μA standby and the D series has WiFi.

I have a project which has been running for several years on Pyboard 1.0's. They wake up every hour, send some data over an NRF24l01 radio, and go back to sleep again. They run for years on a set of AA cells. If I were building it now I'd use the D series and WiFi but they were only a gleam in Damien's eye back then.
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.

dhust

Post by dhust » Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:36 pm

pythoncoder wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:07 am
I would consider a Pyboard. These meet their spec of 6μA standby and the D series has WiFi.
Relatively expensive, but I guess if it works. Hoping to buy a bunch so I don't think it would be in my budget.