Wemos D1 Mini + Battery Shield

All ESP8266 boards running MicroPython.
Official boards are the Adafruit Huzzah and Feather boards.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP8266 board.
atarumoroboshi18

Wemos D1 Mini + Battery Shield

Post by atarumoroboshi18 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:40 pm

Hello, new to the forum, but been lurking for a while.

I've been working with the Wemos D1 Mini and it's battery shield. I am attempting to connect a battery case with AA batteries using the JST connector to the battery shield, but I don't know if I'm doing it correctly as it either doesn't turn on or it will activate the LED for a split second and make a slight constant sound. Is there a proper voltage it should be at to stay on or a proper procedure for this? This is going to be a temp/humidity monitor for outside with rechargeable batteries and a deep sleep mode. Never attempted something like this, so I'm hoping for some help, thank you.

Roberthh

Re: Wemos D1 Mini + Battery Shield

Post by Roberthh » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:05 pm

The Wemos D1 battery shield is made to work with a single 3.7V Lithium rechargeable battery. It contains a tp5400 boost converter. Maximum battery voltage is 7V. The output is cut off when the battery voltage is < 3V in order to protect Lithium cells. So it may also work with three 1.5V standard cells, if they can provided sufficient current. The 3V cut-off prevents using just 2 standard cells.
So the better use that shield in the intended manner with a Lithium battery.

atarumoroboshi18

Post by atarumoroboshi18 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:22 pm

Ah, dang. I've seen others take off the JST port and wire AA batteries directly to it, so I thought I could be clever and crimp my own connector for it and use some rechargeable AA batteries. Is there a recommended battery for this particular battery shield? I've been looking for one with a proper JST-XH 2.54mm connector for it, but I don't believe I've come across one with the right connector.

Roberthh

Post by Roberthh » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:18 am

You get Litium batteries from many different shops. Like for instance this one: https://www.adafruit.com/product/258
I do not know the region in which you live, but it should not be difficult to find a seller.