Viable Options To Simplify the Custom Firmware Build Process

All ESP8266 boards running MicroPython.
Official boards are the Adafruit Huzzah and Feather boards.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP8266 board.
bitninja

Viable Options To Simplify the Custom Firmware Build Process

Post by bitninja » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:47 pm

I wanted to tap all the members who have gone through the manual building of MicroPython for the ESP8266. What I am looking for is the best way to build the custom firmware. I am interested in approaches that would make building a custom MicroPython image, not so cumbersome.

Anyway, the only approach I know is to manually follow the jumbled collection of documentation and build the firmware step by step.

Any new ideas would be welcome to. Thanks!

Joe

kevinkk525

Re: Viable Options To Simplify the Custom Firmware Build Process

Post by kevinkk525 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:31 pm

you can use a script like I do in my project: https://github.com/kevinkk525/pysmartno ... ository.sh
(there are also some board definitions and sync scripts. So I just need to execute the build script and it syncs my project files and builds the firmware).
Kevin Köck
Micropython Smarthome Firmware (with Home-Assistant integration): https://github.com/kevinkk525/pysmartnode

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:57 am

Here is an alternative. As you'll see, mine assumes that the build system is installed, it just streamlines the process of repetitive builds.
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.

bitninja

Post by bitninja » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:34 pm

Thanks for the responses!
I guess I should narrow down the topic to be more in line with what I was thinking.

What I am really looking for is a simple, start with nothing, procedure/application/package that goes something like this...
  • Install small toolset of scripts with maybe a small GUI
  • Download a prebuilt VirtualBox appliance targeting a specific ESP8266 version (ex. v1.17)
  • Specify your frozen modules
  • Kick off a process that eventually spits out a MicroPython bin
Maybe it could done as a wizard-style application... or maybe just a simple one-screen app... I'm not sure at this point. Anyway, I still see your approaches to automation very informative and I may borrow an idea or two!

Any thoughts on my concept?

Thanks

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:29 pm

I don't understand the problem this aims to solve. If it is installing the toolchain then anyone who feels inclined could build a Linux VM with the toolchain and distribute that. That could be useful to beginners.

The rest of the process really isn't "cumbersome". Put the files to be frozen in the right directory, run a script like mine, and it gets built and written to the device. As a command line process it's about as simple as it could possibly be. I guess a GUI would simplify this marginally. But enough to justify the time taken writing it?
Peter Hinch

bitninja

Post by bitninja » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:56 pm

pythoncoder wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:29 pm
I don't understand the problem this aims to solve.
Have you tried building the ESP_OPEN_SDK lately? (https://github.com/pfalcon/esp-open-sdk) It doesn't work. Versions have been updated, files have been moved... it is very difficult... and I've done it many times before!

What I am trying to do is make building the ESP8266 port not such a hassle. If you don't see any value in that... well I guess you don't need it.

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:30 am

As I said above, a VM with the toolchain installed would be useful. A VM would arguably be easier to use than the README suggestion of docker.

It's the ideas beyond, e.g. of a GUI, that which puzzle me, as the process of freezing modules is straightforward.
Peter Hinch

bitninja

Another Approach

Post by bitninja » Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:21 am

Although I have only seen the idea in passing here in the forums, it strikes me as a solution that might work for a small subset of users... especially beginners.

The idea is to have an online service that consists of a simple set of pages used to specify the makeup of a simple MicroPython binary. I would start with compiling ESP8266 binaries to be simple.
  • Select Base Version (ex. 1.17)
  • Select Frozen Modules To Add (ex. sdcard.py)
And upon submitting the manifest then the BIN is built on the fly and returned for download. I think the hobbyist load would be rather minimal as it only takes a few seconds to build the BIN... once the build toolchain has been compiled and built.

Of course this simple proof-of-concept could be greatly enhanced...
  • Future Ports
  • Preservation of manifest configurations
  • Multiple frozen modules sources
    - Direct upload
    - General URL specification
    - MicroPython/lib reference
  • Named/Branded Versions
The intent of course is to lower the barrier need to cross, in order to build your own versions of MicroPython. Also using frozen modules can give you that much more room to work with when working with such limited resources.

Anyway... chime in please if you have any thoughts on the idea. (BTW... I happen to be a web developer by profession)

Joe
Attachments
uPyBuilder Architecture.png
uPyBuilder Architecture (draft)
uPyBuilder Architecture.png (137.86 KiB) Viewed 16285 times