1MB Firmware on ESP-01S

All ESP8266 boards running MicroPython.
Official boards are the Adafruit Huzzah and Feather boards.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP8266 board.
MMliam

1MB Firmware on ESP-01S

Post by MMliam » Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:43 am

PREFACE
I was finally able to flash microPython on to an ESP-01S using the Thonny IDE. Curiously, although the ESP-01S has 1MB of Flash, I could not susccessfully flash the 512KB version of the firmware. After trying several variations of installing the 512KB version it kept generating an error at startup. However, as soon as I flashed the 1MB version it started in the IDE without out issue. My thought was if I could get the 512KB version to run, I would have more memory space for an application. I would appreciate any thoughts as to why the 512KB version installation failed to run.

QUESTION
Given that the 1MB firmware is the only one that appears to function properly; does anyone know how much memory space is available for an actual application?

Thanks, Mickey

MMliam

Re: 1MB Firmware on ESP-01S

Post by MMliam » Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:41 am

After 40 some views and no replies; I believe I'm ready to answer my own question.
"Given that the 1MB firmware is the only one that appears to function properly; does anyone know how much memory space is available for an actual application?"

As it turns out the actual size of 1MB firmware is about 590KB, which means there should be about 430KB for application.

Mickey