MicroPython on ESP8266 Kickstarter

All ESP8266 boards running MicroPython.
Official boards are the Adafruit Huzzah and Feather boards.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP8266 board.
Damien
Site Admin

MicroPython on ESP8266 Kickstarter

Post by Damien » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:02 pm

Dear MicroPython community,

We are super excited to announce that we are running a "MicroPython on ESP8266" Kickstarter campaign. The aim is to raise funds to get MicroPython running like clockwork on the ESP8266 chip. Please consider supporting the project:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/21 ... y-easy-iot

It is a software-only Kickstarter. There are already heaps of great ESP8266 boards out there (eg the Adafruit HUZZAH and Feather boards) and our software will run on all of them!

We know that many people have asked for this, and many people have been waiting for a rock-solid MicroPython port to the ESP8266, and that's exactly what we are going to do! So please consider backing the project and hepling Open Source software grow and prosper.

Paul and myself have been working hard over the past few months to get a proof-of-concept port working whereby the execution model uses proper Berkeley sockets. That means no more callbacks! MicroPython will run on the ESP8266 just like it runs on other boards (eg the WiPy) and you can use sockets just like you do on a PC.

We are really excited by this and hope you are as well. We look forward to growing the MicroPython community even bigger, and having great support for the ESP8266.

Damien, Paul and Viktoriya.

Turbinenreiter

Re: MicroPython on ESP8266 Kickstarter

Post by Turbinenreiter » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:50 pm

Nice!

Adafruits Feather Boards are a really great form factor. I designed a 10DOF daughter board for those (ordered PCBs yesterday) and I'm pretty happy I will be able to use them on a HUZZAH Feather with MicroPython.
There is also the Node.IT that uses the same chip, and for that there is also a 10DOF board I was involved in.

So apart from the 50€, I will also contribute drivers for the BMX055 and BME280, as well as Hardware to easily use those chips.

mianos

Post by mianos » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:03 pm

You might want my new web server in this. Doing a web server as a module gives you a very highevel abstraction that is super useful for IOT and means you don't need to do sockets at all for a web client and server. Yours for the pulling.

EasyRider

Post by EasyRider » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:16 pm

Exciting news.

A suggestion to consider if possible, to enhance/incorporate local wireless MESH capability.
Similar to Synapse Wireless, http://www.synapse-wireless.com/iot-products/core-iot/.

Synapse RF modules have limited Python (SNAP) capability, but each device has powerful MESH RF networking capability with full self discovery and healing without the need for separate network routers, coordinators and alike. Another very powerful feature of the Synapse system is Remote Procedure Calls (RPC), where you can call functions and pass arguments from one wireless device to another.

As far as I know there was some work started on ESP8266 WIFI Mesh but it doesn't look like it has progressed very far.
https://esp8266mesh.wordpress.com/

I personally think that it would be fantastic if possible, to have MicroPython with WIFI mesh networking and internet connectivity ALL in one device that is increadebly good value for money. I am supporting your current campaign but am prepared to increase my support if you could enhance the capability of local WIFI networking.

Good Luck and Regards
John

EasyRider

Post by EasyRider » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:33 pm

A quick link to Synapse SNAP primer system overview.

http://www.synapse-wireless.com/upl/dow ... a62cc9.pdf

EasyRider

Post by EasyRider » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:41 pm

Sorry for flooding, this is another link to ESP8266 MESH discussion.

http://www.esp8266.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=903

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:26 am

This looks very interesting. Is the port likely to be stripped down in any way compared to the Pyboard version (e.g. float support)? How much RAM and Flash is likely to be available for user programs? Do you plan to support the FeatherWing OLED display that features in your video?
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.

torwag

Post by torwag » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:17 am

Just added my pledge ;)

Please also make sure that you contact the people around the NodeIT-board who essentially also announced to work on a micropython port. Would be a shame if two groups work on the same port and hence, wasting time and resources.

Not sending out hardware is on one side a good idea, on the other side, I fear that it does not attract as many people as it could be.
Not sure if that works out better or worse.

As mentioned in the kickstarter comments already, please also add an update how those fits together with the wipy board and the pyboard. I would be sad if we would have some (unhealthy) competition here. From my point of view all three boards address different needs and plays in different fields. Guess it is important to make this clear to the potential users.
How about a fact-sheet comparing all three (or adding the nodeit, all four) boards and explaining the pros and cons. Like manufactures do that for there different line up of products.

All the best

pfalcon

Post by pfalcon » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:35 am

Thanks much guys!! We know that the project bootstrapped so well thanks to our dedicated MicroPython community! This project is in large part due to listening to your suggestions (topics "ideas for new board", etc.), and this project is going to benefit MicroPython as a whole, not just ESP8266 port. There will be much more attention paid to networking side of things (and not just ESP8266 networking - you know that Python and MicroPython is all about portability and common API), it's a chance to push documentation further, etc.

I myself was on a forum much less frequent recently, and now you know why ;-). So please excuse us with Damien for delays with answers, as we need to concentrate on managing the campaign. All comments are appreciated and important to steer the project in the right direction, and we'll answer all questions and suggestion over time. Don't hesitate to post comments/questions on Kickstarter too - we really hope to grow community with this project, and comments/answers there may be more accessible to newcomers.

Thanks again, and on to new horizons for MicroPython!
Awesome MicroPython list
Pycopy - A better MicroPython https://github.com/pfalcon/micropython
MicroPython standard library for all ports and forks - https://github.com/pfalcon/micropython-lib
More up to date docs - http://pycopy.readthedocs.io/

platforma

Post by platforma » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:46 am

This is absolutely great! Wish you a successful trip with it!

One of the questions that came to mind: There are other guys who are working on network side of things of ESP at the moment, writing their own little servers and callbacks, etc. With this, I think people should be warned that something bigger and better is coming, so they don't end up wasting effort. I suppose a forum thread in the announcements is great, but might not reach everyone who's not paying attention to it. Just a thought.

Great work Damien, Paul and Viktoriya!
Поздравляю!