Recommended IDE?

All ESP8266 boards running MicroPython.
Official boards are the Adafruit Huzzah and Feather boards.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP8266 board.
AfouToPatisa

Recommended IDE?

Post by AfouToPatisa » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:19 pm

Hey guys,
What is the recommended way of programming/uploading MicroPython code to the ESP8266?

Thanks in advance.

deshipu

Re: Recommended IDE?

Post by deshipu » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:33 pm

With the current micropython boards (except for the WiPy), they just show up as a USB disk when you connect them to your computer, and you can edit the files directly there using whatever text editor you prefer. This won't work with ESP8266, as it doesn't have native USB support.

On the WiPy, you also write the python code in whatever editor you like, and upload the files to the board with FTP over the network. That works, but is not very convenient.

From the updates on the Kickstarter we know that ESP8266 is going to have a web-based interactive console, and you will be able to also upload files using it, from your browser. Since the 23k goal was reached, there will also be support for upip, which will let you install libraries directly from the Internet. And finally, I expect there to be also a command-line tool for uploading files (but that's a guess). If it will be available, then it will be possible to make a plugin for most any IDE out there for handling it.

If none of those options suit you, you will also be able to write your own code for uploading files -- the code running on the board will be able to create and write files, so it's just a matter of deciding how you want them transferred and coding it.

andreagrandi

Post by andreagrandi » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:45 am

From what I've seen last night, there should be the possibility to add a custom module to the firmware, rebuilding the *.bin and flash it all together. Maybe this takes longer than just copying a single file but it's just to mention it as a possible way.

AfouToPatisa

Post by AfouToPatisa » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:28 pm

Thanks for the replies, mates. This WebREPL seems very interesting, just saw a video of it! Is there any ETA of when we'll be getting our hands on it? I would be quite happy with a beta as well, if it's not polished.

deshipu

Post by deshipu » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:48 pm

Yes, the ETA is two months.

platforma

Post by platforma » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:38 pm

deshipu wrote:command-line tool for uploading files (but that's a guess). If it will be available, then it will be possible to make a plugin for most any IDE out there for handling it.
I wonder if Dave has thought about extending his rshell.py to support ESP as well, or perhaps as a separate tool. This would be a great addition.

askvictor

Post by askvictor » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:11 pm

I've been using ESPlorer with Lua; it seems to say it has micropython support, but I haven't tried it. Might be worth a shot until something else comes along

askvictor

Post by askvictor » Sat May 14, 2016 4:26 am

The latest ESPlorer has micropython support; I think there's a bug in the file upload code, but it otherwise works fine.

askvictor

Post by askvictor » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:59 am

I've just discovered mu editor, see discussion at:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2182

yoonki.kim

Post by yoonki.kim » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:07 pm

How about this? It might be what you are looking for.

https://github.com/jungervin/EsPy

MicroPython IDE for ESP8266