Using the tx/rx pins not for UART

All ESP8266 boards running MicroPython.
Official boards are the Adafruit Huzzah and Feather boards.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP8266 board.
mmh

Re: Using the tx/rx pins not for UART

Post by mmh » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:36 pm

Circling back on this feature which I still think is needed for ESP8266.

This feature end up being a lot more than I had expected, the original patch provided earlier I had added and tried to work into the code base was reject because it was a bit of a one off and the group wants to keep things clean which makes perfect sense to me. Here is the original pull request https://github.com/micropython/micropython/pull/2814.

After working with the team they suggested having the ability to apply dupterm to the UART and having a TERM slot in the global database. I added a series of commits that work in the suggested direction they can be seen here:

https://github.com/micropython/micropython/pull/2891

I know the team is busy with other things at the moment and this PR is very complex, it appears to work for me and I have been using it but it would be great to get some other folks who have interest contributing here just by using it and creating a dialog on that PR to help sort out if we want it or not.

mohpor82

Post by mohpor82 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:02 am

Hi Marc,
As I have commented on your second PR, there seems to be a problem with the UART rx buffers, it keeps only 15 bytes and readline() or read() keeps waiting for input.

Are you still interested in this project?

ulno

Post by ulno » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:10 pm

Is there still any interest in this feature at all?
It would enable several devices like the sonoff 2 or 3 touch as well as connecting some other devices via serial and only using the network to interact.

ulno