ESP8266 build fails

All ESP8266 boards running MicroPython.
Official boards are the Adafruit Huzzah and Feather boards.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP8266 board.
jms

ESP8266 build fails

Post by jms » Thu May 05, 2016 8:38 pm

I am new to the ESP8266, have a shiny d1 board and simply want a recent Micropython that works preferably 1.8 .

Is there a build somewhere ?

I couldn't find one (except for a year old one mentioned in an Adafruit document that doesn't seem to have important bits) so eventually elected to try building it following https://github.com/micropython/micropyt ... er/esp8266 . I would have been quite happy to publish the result to save other people going through the same process trendy though it is these days to waste time building the same thing as other people from the same source.

The SDK seems to build and produce a viable looking cross compiler but after a successful "make axtls" the plain make fails because of lack of osapi.h and user_interface.h which I do not have anywhere. I do not even understand whose responsibility these header files are.

Can anybody get me over this possibly by simply publishing a suitable built Micropython ?

Neil

Re: ESP8266 build fails

Post by Neil » Fri May 06, 2016 7:16 am

I am sure someone far more knowledgeable than me will be along soon, but I do know that those files are from the SDK so my guess would be that you missed out the export command that is given to you at the end of the esp-open-sdk build and therefore the micropython build can't find them.

Damien
Site Admin

Post by Damien » Fri May 06, 2016 9:43 am

It should build if you follow all of the instructions here: https://github.com/micropython/micropyt ... /README.md

In particular, make sure you do the "git submodule update --init" part (or just delete the repository and clone it again).

platforma

Post by platforma » Fri May 06, 2016 9:46 am

You forgot to build the SDK: see http://forum.micropython.org/viewtopic. ... 1655#p9499
For the binary build question: see http://forum.micropython.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1862
Was just about to move the topic and it disappeared :)

platforma

Post by platforma » Fri May 06, 2016 9:48 am

jms wrote:waste time building the same thing as other people from the same source
I think you're missing the point a little bit there. Open source projects are quite the opposite. But the binary builds will be available eventually.

wendlers

Post by wendlers » Fri May 06, 2016 1:12 pm

Hi jms,

in general I never experienced any problems building the firmware following the instructions step by step. However, a while ago, I got bored executing this steps day by day and added a daily job to one of my build-bots.
jms wrote:Can anybody get me over this possibly by simply publishing a suitable built Micropython ?
You are welcome to try the results from that build, but they are not official, nor supported, and come without any warranty etc. etc. If you are still interested, please find the firmware and the ESP tool-chain on a daily basis here (all build with the defaults from the repo):

http://www.kaltpost.de/~wendlers/micropython/

jms

Post by jms » Sat May 07, 2016 9:38 pm

Thank you wendlers. Your build does seem to function for the tiny amount I have done with it (connect to my router). At least I can now get some idea of the stability of the Wi-Fi connection with a little simple socket code left running.

Regarding my attempts at build I understand those missing header files are supposed to be part of the SDK but don't seem to feature in anything I have downloaded so far including the OpenSDK but as you say I may have missed a step. They _are_ however in Espressif's SDK.

The next problem was definitions of things like true and false in C header files but subtly different from one another which currently chosen compiler options treat as fatal. I do wish people wouldn't do that especially since they are now part of C standards (in stdbool).

Jon

wendlers

Post by wendlers » Sun May 08, 2016 12:29 pm

jms wrote:Thank you wendlers. Your build does seem to function for the tiny amount I have done with it (connect to my router). At least I can now get some idea of the stability of the Wi-Fi connection with a little simple socket code left running.
Glad to hear that Jon. Regarding your own builds: which host setup do you use (Linux distribution, version)?

Cheers,
Stefan

jms

Post by jms » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:15 pm

I can do my own builds now but don't have any particular need to and I'm not one of those who like to update daily or even monthly.