Flashing ESP and connecting pyboard

All ESP8266 boards running MicroPython.
Official boards are the Adafruit Huzzah and Feather boards.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP8266 board.
Pawimis

Flashing ESP and connecting pyboard

Post by Pawimis » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:37 pm

Hello
I am working on a house temperature recorder for my diploma and I would like to use pyboard with ESP8266 board to connect to my home Wi-Fi network to download some data from internet , store some data in pyboard SD card and then send them to other devices connected in home area. I am on beginner level so I have some newbie questions :) :

1. Is it possible to flash micropython for ESP board using pyboard or I should equipped myself with some USB serial to perform this? .
2.Correct me if i am wrong but as far as I know, boards can use UART communication to speak with each other so is this as simple as it is written here ?:
https://docs.micropython.org/en/latest/ ... .UART.html
I connect rx and tx, write some code and voilà? Or maybe there exists some piece of software which make this more advanced and help with listening for datas and processing them ?
3. I know that in pyboard and ESP have no multithreading but is this somehow possible to listen for connection with eg. Google FCM server if i would like to perform such thing or i should do this in different way.

Thanks in advance :)

dwight.hubbard

Re: Flashing ESP and connecting pyboard

Post by dwight.hubbard » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:45 am

It would be simpler to just flash the esp8266 board with micropython and connect the temp sensor to it. You could then use the micropython mptt, redis, or socket connections to transmit the data to a server on the network. Or just run a simple web server on the esp8266 itself depending on what your doing.