NodeMCU prompt on windows 7

All ESP8266 boards running MicroPython.
Official boards are the Adafruit Huzzah and Feather boards.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP8266 board.
eradicatore

NodeMCU prompt on windows 7

Post by eradicatore » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:26 pm

Hi,
I'm having an annoying issue where if I use Eltima's Advanced Serial Terminal (version 6) on windows 7 the backspace key "works" but shows a ..[K instead of actually backspacing at the interactive prompt. I then went to use Putty and it works great so I figured problem solved. But then I noticed something very strange. If I start out using Putty, the interactive prompt doesn't work. I can't type anything at all. But if I start with Advanced Serial Terminal first, hit enter a few times, and then move over to Putty it works?!?! Any ideas on why interactive python prompt would only work in this way? I'm using 115200 baud and 8 bit parity 1 stop bit. No h/w flow control. I'm using that for both terminal emulators. I'm flashing with esptool.py the latest version of stable micro python. esp8266-20170108_v1.8.7.bin. I'm using COM10 but have tried other com ports. I made sure under device manager it was set default at 115200.

Or alternatively, does anyone have a good windows terminal emulator they like to use?

eradicatore

Re: NodeMCU prompt on windows 7

Post by eradicatore » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:22 am

Ok, I switched to using teraterm and its working just fine. Guess third time's the charm. :roll:

eradicatore

Re: NodeMCU prompt on windows 7

Post by eradicatore » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:12 pm

Well I actually went to using Termite 3.3. Still not all that happy with it, but it's been the one I stuck with. Teraterm kept having the wrong encoding. Termite doesn't seem to support paste mode (control-e) and it's history is annoying.