Status of MicroPython ESP8266 project

All ESP8266 boards running MicroPython.
Official boards are the Adafruit Huzzah and Feather boards.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP8266 board.
TravisT

Re: Status of MicroPython ESP8266 project

Post by TravisT » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:31 pm

Sorry to hear about your health.

Similar feeling as Roberthh, good documentation and up to date written tutorials to me are more important. They are easy to update small changes, searchable, more version-able and overall much more concise. That being said, I like watching "overview" videos, which adafruit does well, for features and functionality. I use them often to see what I need to dig deeper into documentation to learn about.

I do like the idea of referencing third-party videos and tutorials more clearly somewhere. As long as they are dated and ideally have firmware versions associated. I think the community is a good resource for videos and maybe doing some sort of bounty or reward system for people doing nice videos and tutorials.

Short answer, I feel the focus should be on code and detailed written documentation.

Turbinenreiter

Post by Turbinenreiter » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:50 pm

Cut the videos, your time is better spent elsewhere.

gojimmypi

Post by gojimmypi » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:54 pm

I'm a backer of the KickStarter project... it has turned out to be even more awesome than I ever imagined! Congratulations and Thank You!!

As for the stretch goal tutorial videos: not at all important. I think your proposed "exchange" is fair (and in fact, not even really needed). I completely agree with "let these guys do what they can do the best - write code"

Really the most important thing is to take care of yourself. Wishing you the best.

Cheers

pfalcon

Post by pfalcon » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:07 pm

Thanks everyone who replied, much appreciated!

To clarify: there's no intention to "claim Adafruit's tutorial videos as a deliverables of ESP8266 KickStarter campaign". Of course not. It's all about "Given the excellent Adafruit video tutorials, we'd better spend the time on something else". So, I believe there was a topic on the forum about those tutorials, so everyone interested likely already knows about them. I'll just add a link to them to FAQ so everyone can find them easier.

And I also appreciate more than one person drawing attention to the docs, that pretty much mirrors what I have in mind either: we have good docs (ESP8266 PDF doc has more than 130 pages - that's a lot of content), and yet there're bunch of issues with them. A lot was done over the last year to improve the docs, and I would like to finally drive it "over the hill", so we had not just good, but great docs, with clear structure, well cross-linked, and of course with growing content which is pleasant to write, knowing that it will be accessible and actually read by people. That's why at viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2140#p20203 you can read: "Changes in the upcoming 1.9.2 release: Improved structure, formatting, and content of the docs."

Thanks!
Awesome MicroPython list
Pycopy - A better MicroPython https://github.com/pfalcon/micropython
MicroPython standard library for all ports and forks - https://github.com/pfalcon/micropython-lib
More up to date docs - http://pycopy.readthedocs.io/