Tired of ESP8266 Projects That Use Arduino

All ESP8266 boards running MicroPython.
Official boards are the Adafruit Huzzah and Feather boards.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP8266 board.
bitninja

Tired of ESP8266 Projects That Use Arduino

Post by bitninja » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:10 pm

Has anyone else noticed how a majority of DIY projects out there using the ESP8266 rely on some pre-built Arduino sketch? I realize that Arduino is easier for many folks for many reasons...
  • Familiar environment
    Easy of use
    Huge community
But I do see some areas where Micropython is superior.

Interactivity
The ability to run a REPL prompt provides a great resource for testing and experimentation. Instead of having the edit-compile-upload cycle, it's basically edit the source .py file and run.

Comprehension
I think a lot of how libraries are used in the Arduino are pretty much used as black boxes... without a lot of comprehension as to their inner working or contents. For some, especially beginners, this can be a great way to build neat things with little effort. But for more advanced projects, a better understanding of your tools is necessary. Micropython's code is simple and clear throughout the code base.

Power Without Pain
Finally, I think the high-level nature of Micropython makes for easier implementations. It's heritage in version 3 of Python gives us a whole new set of tools to solve problems. This means it opens up whole new approaches to embedded programming.

So what can we do to encourage Micropython adoption in an Arduino world?

deshipu

Re: Tired of ESP8266 Projects That Use Arduino

Post by deshipu » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:54 am

I think that you are preaching to the choir here, so to speak.

Damien
Site Admin

Post by Damien » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:39 am

bitninja wrote:So what can we do to encourage Micropython adoption in an Arduino world?
Good to hear you that you like MicroPython and want to help with its adoption!

Here are some ideas:
  • Tell your friends and colleagues about MicroPython
  • Blog about the projects that you build with MicroPython
  • Blog about a comparison between MicroPython and Arduino
  • Write reviews about MicroPython boards
  • Give a talk about MicroPython at your local hacker event, embedded conference, PyCon, etc

bitninja

Post by bitninja » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:10 pm

Damien wrote:
  • Tell your friends and colleagues about MicroPython
  • Blog about the projects that you build with MicroPython
  • Blog about a comparison between MicroPython and Arduino
  • Write reviews about MicroPython boards
  • Give a talk about MicroPython at your local hacker event, embedded conference, PyCon, etc
Thanks, Damien. Those are all excellent points.

One of the reasons I prefer the ESP8266 port is because the devices are so inexpensive. I have already given a few away (loaded with Micropython of course) to friends interested in Python programming.
20170926_123709.jpg
20170926_123709.jpg (65.77 KiB) Viewed 5246 times
I probably need to do a review of my favorite board... the Wemos D1 Mini. For less than $3 I get a capable little controller that can use a bunch of different shields.

So much to do....

deshipu

Post by deshipu » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:09 pm

If you want to run a workshop, I have some materials from the workshops i have run in the past here: http://micropython-on-wemos-d1-mini.readthedocs.io

I mostly did them with Python programmers who wanted to learn a bit about electronics. Would be probably a little harder to also teach Python at the same time, although I know those have been used for it by some other workshop organizers.

hendra

Post by hendra » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:33 pm

[quote="deshipu"]If you want to run a workshop, I have some materials from the workshops i have run in the past here: http://micropython-on-wemos-d1-mini.readthedocs.io

I mostly did them with Python programmers who wanted to learn a bit about electronics. Would be probably a little harder to also teach Python at the same time, although I know those have been used for it by some other workshop organizers.[/quote]

your materials is what make my migration from arduino to micropython much more lighter.

Btw, I made a comparison video between arduino and micropython, not in depth comparison. Maybe in the near future I will make part 2 of this comparison video

here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqBmnIF9y_s&t=50s