Blynk app and MicroPython?

All ESP8266 boards running MicroPython.
Official boards are the Adafruit Huzzah and Feather boards.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP8266 board.
jmleczko

Blynk app and MicroPython?

Post by jmleczko » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:06 pm

I’m using a nodemcu12 (not 12e) and I flashed it with micropython. I’m able to hop on webrepl and start using micropython. However, once I upload a blynk sketch via the Arduino IDE to the nodemcu, I am no longer able to reach it via webrepl.

Versions
----------
MicroPython - I’m using the latest version (v1.9.3-8-g63826ac5c). Once the firmware is loaded, I use the interpreter to set up the network and webrepl on the nodemcu.

My blynk app version is 2.18.0(1)

Wiring
---------
I have a power supply providing 3.3v@~240mA to the nodemcu.
I also have an led connected between pin 13 and ground with a R330 in line.

I can use Micropython to turn the led on and off. However, once I set up the blynk app to toggle the led, I can no longer get to my micropython interpreter to do anything. I have to reflash it.

So that’s my question. Does anyone know if I can continue to use MicroPython if I want to utilize an app like Blynk? Can they coincide? or is it once you upload a sketch MicroPython is no longer usable?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

cefn

Re: Blynk app and MicroPython?

Post by cefn » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:27 am

To my understanding, uploading a sketch from Arduino is equivalent to uploading the Micropython OS over esptool.

That is to say 'Upload' from Arduino replaces any OS running on the NodeMCU with your Blink sketch, then uploading Micropython with esptool similarly replaces the Blink sketch with the Micropython OS. They cannot co-exist.

Having said that, if Blink is actually what you are after, you could look into doing it directly with Micropython after successfully flashing it with esptool...
https://learn.adafruit.com/micropython- ... /blink-led

jmleczko

Re: Blynk app and MicroPython?

Post by jmleczko » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:08 pm

Thanks! Thant's the info I needed!