Problem with NodeMCU

All ESP8266 boards running MicroPython.
Official boards are the Adafruit Huzzah and Feather boards.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP8266 board.
DonLeoN

Problem with NodeMCU

Post by DonLeoN » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:54 pm

Hello everyone!
I've bought NodeMCU for studying MicroPython and reached the bad situation. After patching the device with official mod, everything works good, but when plugged out and then plugged in again, it stucks and i can't connect to it.
I've done some search but couldn't fix it. If someone know this type of problem or had it before, please, help me fix it

Отправлено с моего Nexus 5 через Tapatalk

cefn

Re: Problem with NodeMCU

Post by cefn » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:20 pm

Hello DonLeoN and welcome to the Micropython Forum.

Sorry it's a bit of a challenge to make out what you are saying. I find the description you have shared doesn't match well with any of the technical steps which would apply to a NodeMCU, either in the configuration "patching the device with the official mod", reporting what happened "it stucks and i can't connect to it", what you thought should happen or steps you have attempted "I've done some search but couldn't fix it".

Please take account that we cannot observe what you are doing or seeing, and it is near-impossible to fill in the gaps. If you don't state it in understandable terms using words accurately and comprehensively describe the situation, it is hard to help. I find this guide to reporting bugs helpful... https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

While I recognise you are new to working with the NodeMCU, presumably you referred to some guidance when configuring it, so using the words provided by that guidance would help, or even point us to the guidance you are following.

I have personally blown up a few NodeMCUs by attaching devices which drew too much power and killed the CP2102 chip, so it's worth knowing what you have done on the wiring front if anything. Unplugging and replugging can sometimes happen too fast for the old UART device to be tidied up, (/dev/ttyUSB0 on my Ubuntu linux machine), so then it appears on the device /dev/ttyUSB1 . This can appear to 'break' a previously working connection. To detect either of these issues, I look in the /dev/ folder to see what devices are there. Not knowing what OS you are on, it's hard to say more.

Looking forward to hearing a slightly more detailed description. Also let us know if you have sorted it out as others experiencing similar issues may benefit from knowing how you resolved the problem.

DonLeoN

Post by DonLeoN » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:34 am

Hello cefn!

I'm using Linux Mint 18 and NodeMCU based on ESP-12n.

I used this instruction on the firmware: https://docs.micropython.org/en/latest/ ... intro.html

My controller is not dead. If I deploy the firmware on it again, it will work, until I unplugged the power cord. If I unplug the power cord, then the board will again need to deploy the firmware, otherwise it does not work.

I checked the UART port and entered the correct port.

P.S. sorry for my English

cefn

Post by cefn » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:27 am

Please describe in detail what you are doing when connecting. You wrote...
it does not work. I checked the UART port and entered the correct port.
In the document I linked to...
Anybody who has written software for public use will probably have received at least one bad bug report. Reports that say nothing ("It doesn't work!")
It really is impossible to figure the problem out unless you describe the stage which is failing in detail, and probably the stages leading up to it. "It doesn't work" importantly omits everything which could help...

What did you do?
What did you expect to happen?
What actually happened?
What did you try to rectify the situation?

This pretty much ALWAYS involves providing the commands you used and the result which came back. None of this is provided in your post.

We've no idea how you are connecting to the device or what result you are getting on the first connection you think is successful, or the second one you think is unsuccessful. Without knowing even the program you are using, we can't explore whether the program releases the serial port handle properly, (a problem which would pretty much always be cleared by rebooting Linux Mint) or if is likely to force a port renumbering. You have not shown us the output of ls /dev/ttyUSB* or ls /dev/tty* after disconnecting and reconnecting. In fact I don't even know if you are attempting to connect over USB, since you refer to it as a power cable, so you might be connecting via WiFi!

We can't assume you are doing everything correctly, since that's why you need help. Really, really describe what takes place. What I am getting is "Then I did exactly the right thing, but the NodeMCU did the wrong thing, can you help me" which makes it very hard to help.