Sonoff S20 does not boot when powered on AC

All ESP8266 boards running MicroPython.
Official boards are the Adafruit Huzzah and Feather boards.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP8266 board.
Pivert

Sonoff S20 does not boot when powered on AC

Post by Pivert » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:10 pm

Hi,

I have a strange behaviour. The Sonoff S20 works properly when powered with the USB Serial adapter with 3.3V adapter.
But when I plug it to the AC, nothing happens.
It's like the boot.py and/or main.py are blocked.

Could it be because of the Serial adapter is disconnected ?
(P.S.: I never risked to plug both AC and USB adapter, since there might be risks for the PC).

pythoncoder

Re: Sonoff S20 does not boot when powered on AC

Post by pythoncoder » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:08 am

I haven't used the S20 but I spent a lot of time trying to get reliable operation out of a Sonoff Basic. I failed, with the outcome described here.

The device did have proper isolation: you could run the serial port with the device powered from AC. It would also start properly with no serial connection. However as described in the above link my eventual conclusion was that these devices are useless, at least when running MicroPython. I'll be interested to hear if the S20 is any better.

The S20 may or may not have proper isolation.

If you have a test meter you can check for isolation by measuring resistance on a high range between the serial 0V line and each of the pins of the power plug connector. There should be infinite resistance between serial 0V and the Live and Neutral pins. Low resistance to Earth is allowable, but the units I used had complete isolation. If you're not confident doing this then don't take risks: working on kit carrying live AC mains requires some skill and care.
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.

Pivert

Post by Pivert » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:34 am

Thanks Peter,

In my case, I cannot talk about stability since it only works when connected via USB.

Since I have the "Manufacturer: 5e", I need the "-fm dout" option to the "write_flash" command as you described here:
viewtopic.php?t=3777

For now I think I have no other choice than abandon MicroPython, and try some other firmwares...

Thanks,

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:00 am

Sorry to hear that. In my opinion MicroPython is great. My views on Sonoff are, shall we say, not so good.
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.

Roberthh

Post by Roberthh » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:27 am

Did you check the level of the strapping pins when powered through AC?