Driver for NEMA 17 stepper motor ?

All ESP8266 boards running MicroPython.
Official boards are the Adafruit Huzzah and Feather boards.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP8266 board.
jimmo

Re: Driver for NEMA 17 stepper motor ?

Post by jimmo » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:36 pm

I'm not quite sure I understand the diagram sorry. Is the object supported vertically by the same rope that's moving it side to side? Or is hanging on a different (tight) rope, and you have a separate line connected to the motor to pull it? What does the pulley do, etc.

Also I'm not sure a stepper motor makes sense - if you're moving an object over large distances, then having a motor that can be precisely turned fractions of a revolution isn't necessary. You'd be much better off with a regular motor / gearbox and using switches or sensors to detect where your object is.

RajaRamesh

Post by RajaRamesh » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:36 pm

jimmo wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:36 pm
I'm not quite sure I understand the diagram sorry. Is the object supported vertically by the same rope that's moving it side to side? Or is hanging on a different (tight) rope, and you have a separate line connected to the motor to pull it? What does the pulley do, etc.

Also I'm not sure a stepper motor makes sense - if you're moving an object over large distances, then having a motor that can be precisely turned fractions of a revolution isn't necessary. You'd be much better off with a regular motor / gearbox and using switches or sensors to detect where your object is.
Hi Jimmo, by watching few stepper motor videos, i thought stepper motor is suitable for my idea and my idea is same as below diagram and red one is the object which will move forward and backward which tied to the belt.
image.jpg
image.jpg (17.46 KiB) Viewed 3673 times

rpr

Post by rpr » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:10 pm

I agree with @jimmo: You don't need the precise positioning that a stepper provides since you are moving the object over distances much larger than the size of the motor.

Thanks for updating the diagram. Is this a conveyer belt? How heavy is the belt? Is the belt being supported? You are going to need some more detailed mechanical engineering design calculations before fabricating something like this over such large distances.

RajaRamesh

Post by RajaRamesh » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:00 am

rpr wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:10 pm
I agree with @jimmo: You don't need the precise positioning that a stepper provides since you are moving the object over distances much larger than the size of the motor.

Thanks for updating the diagram. Is this a conveyer belt? How heavy is the belt? Is the belt being supported? You are going to need some more detailed mechanical engineering design calculations before fabricating something like this over such large distances.
ok..then, let me check with some of mechanical engineer by discussing my idea and will get some inputs from them. Later i will think how to proceed further.

Roberthh

Post by Roberthh » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:56 am

I'm still irritated by you statement about the distance:
(i.e 500 to 1000 meters or above)
That is quite a number and requires solid construction work, with intermediate supports, solid belts and large engines, ... Clearly beyond of what is normally considered here. So are these numbers correct?

RajaRamesh

Post by RajaRamesh » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:58 am

Roberthh wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:56 am
I'm still irritated by you statement about the distance:
(i.e 500 to 1000 meters or above)
That is quite a number and requires solid construction work, with intermediate supports, solid belts and large engines, ... Clearly beyond of what is normally considered here. So are these numbers correct?
Hi Robert, it was very difficult and hard to holding 20 liters of liquid box on back (like school bag) and spray pesticides in paddy fields . i saw few videos of stepper motors and got an idea, with the help of stepper motors we move the pipe on paddy fields from one end to other end by placing the liquid box at one end . And i have no idea about stepper motors. so, i though i can get help in this forum to implement this. But as per jimmo, i came to know stepper is not right choice for my idea and thinking how to achieve. few people achieved by using drone.

sample video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=658c3yh0CF4