Micropython dropping processor support for NodeMCU v2/3 ESP-12E?

All ESP8266 boards running MicroPython.
Official boards are the Adafruit Huzzah and Feather boards.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP8266 board.
Xanny

Micropython dropping processor support for NodeMCU v2/3 ESP-12E?

Post by Xanny » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:23 am

I found this in a comment on a listed NodeMCU v2/3 on Amazon:

Q: "Does this board work with MicroPython?"
A: "Currently yes, but they are discontinuing support for this processor."

I have searched and not found any results on the forum or using Google. Any thoughts?

jimmo

Re: Micropython dropping processor support for NodeMCU v2/3 ESP-12E?

Post by jimmo » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:35 am

There is no plan to discontinue ESP8266 support in MicroPython. There hasn't been as much development or new features recently as the port is fairly stable now, but it gets all the updates to the core language.

I wonder if the "they" in "but they are discontinuing support for this processor." refers to the manufacturer of the board? i.e. they're focusing on ESP32 or something?

Xanny

Re: Micropython dropping processor support for NodeMCU v2/3 ESP-12E?

Post by Xanny » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:37 pm

I suppose it's possible the individual who supplied the answer was not really answering the question specifically regarding MicroPython but was talking about some other 'support', but as 'support for this processor' feels like software specific terminology, I assumed that's what they were talking about. It's also possible they were confused about the question, or that they have a source that is inaccurate. I started using QR codes in another unrelated project, and heard a comment to the effect that QR codes were dying out. Maybe that was a popular thought when Blackberry was faltering but today QR codes are everywhere, from shipping products to food packaging and beverages! Thanks for your input!