USB driver crashes PC

All ESP8266 boards running MicroPython.
Official boards are the Adafruit Huzzah and Feather boards.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP8266 board.
ProudPagan

USB driver crashes PC

Post by ProudPagan » Sun May 10, 2020 9:02 am

Hello,

This post is not directly about MicroPython, so please pardon me should this post not belong here :-)

I am running MicroPython on a NodeMCU ESP8266 clone (by Lolin). Intermittently I see the
Windows 10 blue screen with an error in the USB serial driver CH341S64.SYS.

I have tried drivers from the original chip maker (http://www.wch.cn/download/CH341SER_EXE.html),
from the NodeMCU Github page and by requesting Windows to automatically (what Windows thinks is)
the best driver available. The crash happens sometimes within seconds of plugging the board in, or
sometimes when using ESPlorer/ampy/mpfshell to upload MP scripts (uploads work sometimes).

At this point, I have no other option but to go back to an old laptop with Windows 7 and try my luck
there. Funnily, I distinctly remember using MicroPython/ampy and Arduino on this board last year
without problems (before all the Windows updates that have happened since).

Does anyone here have a better idea?

Thanks very much

-PP

DaveKZN

Re: USB driver crashes PC

Post by DaveKZN » Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:51 pm

I am having a similar problem with a WeMOS D1 Mini (ESP8266) running microPython. I have used the same module for several years with the Arduino IDE with no issues. I loaded microPython on it and used ampy to load programs, which works well, but I can blue screen my PC several times in an hour. I think this is the first time I've blue screened Windows 10 on any PC.

The message says:
Stop code: Driver unloaded without cancelling pending operations
What failed: ch341s64.sys

It happens after plugging the D1 Mini into the USB cable. It makes the sound of connecting or disconnecting over and over quickly before crashing.