Programming ESP01 with Thonny

All ESP8266 boards running MicroPython.
Official boards are the Adafruit Huzzah and Feather boards.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP8266 board.
etolocka

Programming ESP01 with Thonny

Post by etolocka » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:02 pm

Hello!
I am trying to use Thonny (3.3.1) to program an ESP-01 board with 512K memory. Using ESPTOOL I was able to erase the FLASH memory and then load the Firmware successfully (the version for 512K).
The problems start when I want to connect the board with Thonny. I disconnect GPIO from GND so that the board goes into UART mode and when trying to connect from Thonny, I receive several error messages, which I copy below.
Is it that Thonny can't work with a board with so little memory?

Thankfully,
Ernesto.

ERROR thonny.plugins.micropython.backend: Crash in backend
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\Ernesto\AppData\Local\Programs\Thonny\lib\site-packages\thonny\plugins\micropython\backend.py", line 130, in __init__
self._prepare(clean)
File "C:\Users\Ernesto\AppData\Local\Programs\Thonny\lib\site-packages\thonny\plugins\micropython\backend.py", line 152, in _prepare
self._update_cwd()
File "C:\Users\Ernesto\AppData\Local\Programs\Thonny\lib\site-packages\thonny\plugins\micropython\bare_metal_backend.py", line 328, in _update_cwd
super()._update_cwd()
File "C:\Users\Ernesto\AppData\Local\Programs\Thonny\lib\site-packages\thonny\plugins\micropython\backend.py", line 479, in _update_cwd
self._cwd = self._evaluate("__thonny_helper.getcwd()")
File "C:\Users\Ernesto\AppData\Local\Programs\Thonny\lib\site-packages\thonny\plugins\micropython\backend.py", line 568, in _evaluate
raise ManagementError(script, out, err)
thonny.plugins.micropython.backend.ManagementError: Problem with a management command

SCRIPT:
__thonny_helper.print_mgmt_value(__thonny_helper.getcwd())

STDOUT:

STDERR:

File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>

File "<stdin>", line 44, in getcwd

AttributeError: no such attribute

File "C:\Users\Ernesto\AppData\Local\Programs\Thonny\lib\site-packages\thonny\plugins\micropython\backend.py", line 130, in __init__
self._prepare(clean)
File "C:\Users\Ernesto\AppData\Local\Programs\Thonny\lib\site-packages\thonny\plugins\micropython\backend.py", line 152, in _prepare
self._update_cwd()
File "C:\Users\Ernesto\AppData\Local\Programs\Thonny\lib\site-packages\thonny\plugins\micropython\bare_metal_backend.py", line 328, in _update_cwd
super()._update_cwd()
File "C:\Users\Ernesto\AppData\Local\Programs\Thonny\lib\site-packages\thonny\plugins\micropython\backend.py", line 479, in _update_cwd
self._cwd = self._evaluate("__thonny_helper.getcwd()")
File "C:\Users\Ernesto\AppData\Local\Programs\Thonny\lib\site-packages\thonny\plugins\micropython\backend.py", line 568, in _evaluate
raise ManagementError(script, out, err)
thonny.plugins.micropython.backend.ManagementError: Problem with a management command

SCRIPT:
__thonny_helper.print_mgmt_value(__thonny_helper.getcwd())

STDOUT:

STDERR:

File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>

File "<stdin>", line 44, in getcwd

AttributeError: no such attribute

etolocka

Re: Programming ESP01 with Thonny

Post by etolocka » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:54 pm

Update: An ESP01 board with 1M of memory works fine with Thonny using the same procedure.

JennaSys

Re: Programming ESP01 with Thonny

Post by JennaSys » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:51 pm

It does seem that Thonny might use up some amount of memory. I have a resource hungry application that I run on an ESP-01 and will get ENOMEM errors when connected using the WebREPL in Thonny, but don't get those errors when using the WebREPL directly in a web browser.
John Sheehan