Micro:boy

Questions and discussion about running MicroPython on a micro:bit board.
Target audience: MicroPython users with a micro:bit.
deshipu

Micro:boy

Post by deshipu » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:32 pm

I have been recently working on a simple add-on for the micro:bit, that has an OLED display and a bunch of buttons, allowing you to make games that are more similar to what we know from arcades and handheld game consoles. Details are available at https://hackaday.io/project/27757-microboy

The extra pcb is attached to the micro:bit with five bolts, and contains the screen, six buttons, a speaker and a battery with a power switch.

Of course, the example code includes the driver for the SH1106 display, and firmware for the ATtiny24 chip that I used for handling the buttons. The whole thing communicates with the micro:bit over I2C on the pins 2 and 3, so it requires a recent version of MicroPython from the repository to be able to re-init the I2C to work on those pins.

I'm still working on some simple games, but what I have already makes me confident that it's possible to make some interesting games with this.

mcauser

Re: Micro:boy

Post by mcauser » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:00 am

Nicely done! Your hackaday projects are always a good read.

The bolts are an interesting approach. Gives it a real industrial feel.

Regarding the Micro:header, have you considered using a elastomeric connector between the microbit and your PCB?
Those little silicon rubber connectors usually sandwiched between a PCB footprint and an LCD.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elastomeric_connector

deshipu

Post by deshipu » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:59 am

Thank you!

No, I have not considered using that connector, I think you may be onto something here. I have to give it a try, thanks!

on4aa

Post by on4aa » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:39 pm

That is the kind of thing that would get my 13 year old son started on Micro:Bit and MicroPython! :P
Any plans to make it commercially available?
Last edited by on4aa on Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Serge

deshipu

Post by deshipu » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:31 pm

on4aa wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:39 pm
That is the kind of thing that would get my 13 year old son get started on Micro:Bit and MicroPython! :P
Any plans to make it commercially available?
This is mostly a proof of concept thing for now, just to see what is possible and how hard it is to actually write a game for it. I'm working on a different device running CircuitPython (a fork of MicroPython) and making the whole process of writing a game much simpler. With micro:bit you have to use a lot of tricks to get around the limitations.

Having said that, it's all built from easily available parts, the PCBs are available at OSHPark, he soldering is not very advanced, and I'm going to publish detailed instructions when I'm ready — so it could be a good weekend project for the more technically skilled parents.

OutoftheBOTS_

Post by OutoftheBOTS_ » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:37 pm

Cool project :)

AntoniaUnderwood

Post by AntoniaUnderwood » Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:28 am

I consulted this project and highly recommend it