serial read function not return content as expected

All ESP32 boards running MicroPython.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP32 board.
liudr

serial read function not return content as expected

Post by liudr » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:57 pm

I am experimenting with serial ports. What I am doing is pure ASCII lines with /r/n. When I tried ser.readline(), the entire line is returned, great! But when I tried ser.read(), I got empty byte string b''. The content is 22 bytes long, including the /r/n.

I thought that I was supposed to get as many bytes as available, which is the whole line. I also tried to use parameter ser.read(10) for example. It only read 10 bytes each time, the first two times I called it, as expected. Then the last two bytes didn't return when I called ser.read(10) a third time. I had to call ser.readline(), or ser.read(1) twice, to get the last two bytes. More experiments indicated that if I specify a parameter that is longer than the serial port's current content, the return is empty byte string. If I specify a parameter that is less than the length of serial port's current content, the read was successful. This is not what the doc says. Am I missing something:

This is the wipy version of the doc:

http://docs.micropython.org/en/latest/w ... .UART.read

cefn

Re: serial read function not return content as expected

Post by cefn » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:59 pm

I think that ser.read() is probably behaving as it should, though I'm no expert.

I think it tries to read whatever characters are already available, and doesn't wait on a particular character (newline) coming through.

The number n you passed to ser.read(n) isn't interpreted as a minimum number of characters returned, it's a maximum.

So if you happen to query the serial port before the characters have arrived, then it won't wait around for n characters, it'll just give you what it has, which may be nothing. However, if it has more than n, it will only give you n characters.

Can anyone who actually knows this stuff confirm my description?

liudr

Post by liudr » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:17 pm

No, the characters HAVE arrived. Their time to arrival is within 0.01 seconds of receiving command from ESP32's serial port. I was hand typing commands, giving about several extra seconds of time. readline() always gets the whole line but read() always gets nothing. It's not a timing issue. I'll dig into the source code for answers eventually.

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:50 am

This is the behaviour on a Pyboard, which is as I'd expect. To test I linked pins X1 and X2.

Code: Select all

>>> u = pyb.UART(4, 9600, timeout=5000)
>>> u.write('rats')
>>> u.read(4)  # Returns immediately
b'rats'
>>> u.write('rats')
>>> u.read()  # Delay while 5s timeout elapses
b'rats'
>>> 
In this case return from read() was immediate:

Code: Select all

>>> u.write('rats')
>>> u.read(2)
b'ra'
>>> u.read(2)
b'ts'
>>> 
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.

liudr

Post by liudr » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:24 am

Thanks for testing. I followed your method and got the same results as you. Now I am a bit confused. I'll retest my original hardware again. I've been using transistor-type of bi-directional level shifter on the ESP32 at 3.3V with my ATMEGA328P at 5V. I'll switch to a 74HC4050 and test tomorrow.

I was using the bi-directional level shifter to read some I2C sensors at 5V.

pythoncoder

Post by pythoncoder » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:04 am

Testing serial interfaces with a loopback is a useful technique for separating hardware and software issues, and also for distinguishing between problems on the host and on the remote device.
Peter Hinch
Index to my micropython libraries.