sparkfun thing in main loop: how to safe boot and get repl / files? ANYBODY?

All ESP32 boards running MicroPython.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP32 board.
bitrat

sparkfun thing in main loop: how to safe boot and get repl / files? ANYBODY?

Post by bitrat » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:11 am

SOLVED!

I uploaded the flash image to my pc and hex edited the python code inside it, then downloaded back to the board.

All good now, altho I have a few more to do. At least I didn't brick it..

Cheers,
:-)

======================================================================

Hi,

I have some sparkfun esp32 things that I haven't used for a couple of years. They boot into a main loop waiting for a wifi connection.

I've forgotten how to safe boot them or otherwise access the repl.

I can get this using 0 and reset buttons:

Code: Select all

rst:0x1 (POWERON_RESET),boot:0x3 (DOWNLOAD_BOOT(UART0/UART1/SDIO_REI_REO_V2))
waiting for download
but I can't get a repl with picocom or access the file system with ampy because code is running.

I've downloaded a flash image with esptool. Is there an easy way to extract individual python files from the image? Can I erase the filesystem with esptool (or something else) without erasing micropython?

I'm asking cos I'm in a hurry. I don't have suitable images on hand to reflash and trying to avoid grokking rebuilding steps. I just want to start hacking the python on the board to get a quick result.
As opposed to researching the reason for this: ERROR: Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement bidict>=0.21.0 which I get installing esp-idf... I don't have time for that.

I seem to remember solving this problem by blasting some python code or control characters at the device over serial....

Cheers,
bitrat