Choosing ESP32 variant

All ESP32 boards running MicroPython.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP32 board.
OutoftheBOTS_

Choosing ESP32 variant

Post by OutoftheBOTS_ » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:28 am

I am teaching kids tech (mainly robotics and programming). I want to develop a micropython course for high school kids. I would like to use a ESP32 board as they tend to be very cheap and this allows me to give away the board at the end of the course for the kids to take home and continue to play with.

I need to select the best board to use. I did play with micropython on the original ESP8266 then the early variants (wroom and Vrover) quite a while ago but since then there has been many new variants released.

My considerations are:
1. Price as I want to give them away so don't want to pay too much for them.
2. I am thinking to have virtual drive to make it easy for kids to drag and drop files on the board
3. Micropython to run well on the board i.e enough RAM and flash
4. Features I do really need timers to be able to operate servos.

I have done a little research and it seem only the S2 has native USB, is this correct?? and does this mean only S2 have have virtual drive??

Most of the boards using S2 seem to use the ESp-12k module made by AI tinker. Is this module supported by micropython as it seems to also have 8MB od PSRAM and 4 MB flash

scruss

Re: Choosing ESP32 variant

Post by scruss » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:33 pm

With the chip shortage, right now is possibly the worst time to be speccing out boards.

The cheapest ESP-32 board I'm seeing right now is the AI-Thinker NodeMCU-32S. It's US $9.75 at Cytron, one of our* usually reliable suppliers. Unfortunately, they've got two left. Typically, they have hundreds.

Seon from Unexpected Maker hangs out here. If anyone knows ESP32 and MicroPython, it's Seon.

The cheapest MicroPython board you can get in reliable quantity right now is probably the Raspberry Pi Pico. No wifi, no virtual drive, but tonnes of curriculum already available. We're seeing the Pico + MicroPython being picked up in schools as the next step after micro:bit + blocks. Raspberry Pi Approved Resellers will probably be the cheapest source for Picos.

---
*: I'm a reseller of this sort of thing in Canada.

mathieu

Post by mathieu » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:11 pm

What about the Wemos/Lolin S2 Mini? It's cheap and I've been happy with mine.

OutoftheBOTS_

Post by OutoftheBOTS_ » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:23 pm

Thanks for both the suggestions.

ProfHuster

Post by ProfHuster » Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:22 pm

A little late. I bought Wemos Lolin S2 Mini https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003145192016.html
Cost $4 each. An order of four took three weeks to arrive for $25. I use CircuitPython on them. I highly recommend them. The main difference between them and the Unexpected Maker boards (also excellent) are 1) no bluetooth, and 2) no charging circuit.
The CircuitPython download is https://circuitpython.org/board/lolin_s2_mini/

seonr

Post by seonr » Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:03 pm

Thanks for the shout out folks :)

Yeah for teaching or just low entry "throw away money" prices, you can't beat the Lolin S2 Mini - It's crazy they do tham at that price, but it's a win for anyone wanting to get into ESP32 dev with an entry point product. I use to use a lot of Lolin boards before I started making my own.

The ESP32-S3 is also "about" to start surfacing... it's super constrained atm due to the silicon shortage, but adds a second board back, BLE5 and other cool new features over the S2.

scruss

Post by scruss » Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:00 pm

Hey Seon - your boards are flying out the doors here in Canada.

The Lolin S2 Mini is pretty amazing for the price. The construction quality/finish is very decent, too. It's worth buying through the official Lolin store, as there's a lot of knock-offs even at the low end. The unofficial Lolin boards I have are pretty manky.

OutoftheBOTS_

Post by OutoftheBOTS_ » Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:24 pm

WOW the Lolin boards with 2MB of PsRAM are super cheap and when you buy a batch of 30 the shipping comes out really cheap.

I have already brought a 30 of the original style ESP32 boards https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001 ... 1802mqhfC4

In the future I think I will switch to the lolin S2 as the extra RAM is nice but the extra pins of the S2 is nicer when teaching robotics.

What's the difference in features and stability of Micropython firmware between the ESP32 vs ESP32 S2 with 2MB PsRAM??