ESP32 DevKit C V4 - very weak WiFi signal

All ESP32 boards running MicroPython.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP32 board.
rtborg

ESP32 DevKit C V4 - very weak WiFi signal

Post by rtborg » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:37 pm

I am trying to use an ESP32 DevKit C V4 board with WROVER-B module, however the wifi signal is extremely weak. When in station mode, scanning returns only two access points (there are many more), and the strength of the signal from my router is -70 dBm when the board is next to the router.

When I place the board in the next room it cannot connect at all. I tried both stable and nightly MP builds; no difference. Is there any parameter which is under user control and can be tuned in order to increase the sensitivity of the device?

davef

Re: ESP32 DevKit C V4 - very weak WiFi signal

Post by davef » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:06 pm

I'd be checking the antenna connection. If the unit has a uFL connector is the 0 Ohm chip resistor in the correct position for your antenna choice?

rtborg

Post by rtborg » Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:04 pm

Your comment is dead on - I had the resistor connecting the PCB antenna not soldered, but instead the bridge connecting the IPEX connector was on. I spent half a day looking for solution in code...

Thanks!

davef

Post by davef » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:35 pm

You found my area of expertise. If it works after connecting the proper antenna to it you are either lucky or transmitter output device/design is "rugged".