Does micropython ESP32 support Ethernet?

All ESP32 boards running MicroPython.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP32 board.
liudr

Does micropython ESP32 support Ethernet?

Post by liudr » Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:31 am

I didn't find any reference on the official doc. I did find this post that uses wiznet chipset over SPI without any reference of the working solution:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11378&p=62493&hili ... net#p62493

I was hoping for the native Ethernet on ESP32 but any external hardware support is good as well since I wish to use PSRAM and EMAC pins may interfere with PSRAM's chip select pins.

I looked up the lobo's firmware that does have support of ESP32's native ethernet with a LAN8720 physical module but lobo's firmware is probably not up to date anymore.

I'm hoping to be able to drive an ethernet module over SPI pins. That will be easy to add on.

beyonlo

Re: Does micropython ESP32 support Ethernet?

Post by beyonlo » Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:35 pm

liudr wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:31 am
I didn't find any reference on the official doc. I did find this post that uses wiznet chipset over SPI without any reference of the working solution:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11378&p=62493&hili ... net#p62493

I was hoping for the native Ethernet on ESP32 but any external hardware support is good as well since I wish to use PSRAM and EMAC pins may interfere with PSRAM's chip select pins.

I looked up the lobo's firmware that does have support of ESP32's native ethernet with a LAN8720 physical module but lobo's firmware is probably not up to date anymore.

I'm hoping to be able to drive an ethernet module over SPI pins. That will be easy to add on.
Hi, did you find any solution?

I would like a SPI ethernet W5500 (Wiznet5500) driver for the ESP32 too, but nothing until now :(

I see that ESP-IDF recently released support for the Wiznet5500: https://github.com/espressif/esp-idf/tr ... basic/main

I created a issue (https://github.com/micropython/micropython/issues/8537) in the MicroPython github ansking a feature request based on that driver.

liudr

Re: Does micropython ESP32 support Ethernet?

Post by liudr » Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:54 am

Thanks! I replied to your git issue. I think it's best to have a native mp version of the driver instead of using some wrappers over IDF functions. This way there will be a wider support over all mp board types instead of just for ESP32.