ESP32 "soft power button" implementation

All ESP32 boards running MicroPython.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP32 board.
EresIONo

ESP32 "soft power button" implementation

Post by EresIONo » Wed May 18, 2022 10:51 pm

I've been experimenting creating a soft power button for an ESP32 project. The required behavior is with a 1sec press go into deepsleep, then wake the ESP32 with a press of the same button.

1 - THIS WORKS:
  • create button pin with IRQ_RISING callback1
  • in callback1: start timer, remove irq, add new IRQ_FALLING callback2
  • in callback2: if timer>1s THEN remove irq, add wake_on_ext0 + deepsleep ELSE reset callback
Although this works reliably, what I find annoying is that the ESP32 goes to sleep only after you release the button.

2 - THIS DOESN'T WORK
  • create button pin with IRQ_RISING callback1
  • in callback start 1s timer with callback2
  • in callback2: if button is still down, remove irq, add wake_on_ext0 + deepsleep
Problem with this is, the button is still down when the ESP32 goes into deepsleep, so it wakes up immediately

Is there a better approach to doing the second version? I have attempted to disable interrupts as a test but that makes no difference

karfas

Re: ESP32 "soft power button" implementation

Post by karfas » Thu May 19, 2022 5:44 am

Use your first version and lie to the user.

After a second, turn everything off (or whatever you do to signal the user the thing is off), but wait for the user actually releasing the key before you go into deep sleep.
A few hours of debugging might save you from minutes of reading the documentation! :D
My repositories: https://github.com/karfas

EresIONo

Re: ESP32 "soft power button" implementation

Post by EresIONo » Thu May 19, 2022 4:25 pm

That is a good idea! There is a small OLED display on the device, I'll use a timer to turn that off after a second if the power button is still down.
karfas wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 5:44 am
After a second, turn everything off (or whatever you do to signal the user the thing is off), but wait for the user actually releasing the key before you go into deep sleep.