Flashing ESP32-S3-SPIRAM

All ESP32 boards running MicroPython.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP32 board.
SawDust

Flashing ESP32-S3-SPIRAM

Post by SawDust » Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:28 pm

I have an ESP32-S3-DevKitC-1-N8R8 (from Digi-Key) and I can't flash MicroPython on it. First I opened PowerShell on my Win10 computer and tried 'esptool.py --chip esp32s3 --port COM15 write_flash -fs detect 0 GENERIC_S3_SPIRAM-20220117-v1.18.bin' using the latest stable release on micropython.org/download page. No trouble flashing MicroPython but my simple "Hello World" program would not upload.
VSCode/Pymakr terminal text is:
AutoConnect enabled, ignoring 'address' setting (see Global Settings)
Searching for PyCom boards on serial...
Connecting to COM15...
ESP-ROM:esp32s3-20210327
Build:Mar 27 2021
rst:0x1 (POWERON),boot:0x0 (DOWNLOAD(USB/UART0))
waiting for download

Uploading project (main folder)...
Safe booting device... (see settings for more info)
Safe boot failed, uploading anyway.
Uploading to /flash...
Upload failed.: timeout Please reboot your device manually.

My usb cable is in the UART port, I held down the BOOT button while I pressed and released the RESET button, then tried upload. Timeout occurred no matter what combinations or timing I tried on buttons. I also tried a couple of the nightly builds with no luck. (This is how I flash my older ESP 32s and 8266s).

Google searches result in lots of hits on procedures for making custom ESP32-S3-SPIRAM builds involving editing a couple parameter files so I know people are struggling with this. I tried to make three of these procedures work by installing wsl & Unbuntu, but each eventually failed for different reasons (I kept notes on what I tried which I can share if necessary).

So I'll start simple with a couple questions:
1. Is there a complete *.bin file available for this device that can be downloaded and flashed using Win10 PowerShell and esptool similar to above?
2. Does the stable release GENERIC_S3_SPIRAM-20220117-v1.18.bin on micropython.org/download apply to this DevKit or does it only apply to the SoC (like the photo)?

tepalia02

Re: Flashing ESP32-S3-SPIRAM

Post by tepalia02 » Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:53 am

Hi,is the problem solved now?