Red lines in menuconfig

All ESP32 boards running MicroPython.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP32 board.
p_j

Red lines in menuconfig

Post by p_j » Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:20 am

Does anyone know what the red lines in menuconfig represent?

I compiled micropython yesterday with the console output set to "USB CDC" however today it is highlighted red and not selectable anymore.

Any ideas?
Attachments
red.png
red.png (64.63 KiB) Viewed 1541 times

jimmo

Re: Red lines in menuconfig

Post by jimmo » Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:07 am

p_j wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:20 am
menuconfig isn't used anywhere in MicroPython. Can you provide more detail about what you're doing?

(I guess in theory you could use the IDF's menuconfig to generate an sdkconfig which you could then import into the MicroPython build... but typically you'd just write the sdkconfig fragment directly)

p_j

Re: Red lines in menuconfig

Post by p_j » Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:29 am

jimmo wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:07 am
p_j wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:20 am
menuconfig isn't used anywhere in MicroPython. Can you provide more detail about what you're doing?

(I guess in theory you could use the IDF's menuconfig to generate an sdkconfig which you could then import into the MicroPython build... but typically you'd just write the sdkconfig fragment directly)
Interesting thanks, I use menuconfig all the time to modify config and seems to work. So I assume the standard practice is to put the config options in a specific sdkconfig.board file?

I'm trying to use UART0 on the ESP32S2 as my custom board requires 4 UARTS for peripherals and multiplexing 1 UART to 4 peripherals is fiddly. I discovered when browsing menuconfig that I can redirect the ESP32 console to the USB CDC rather than UART0, this stops some of the lower level messages appearing on UART0.

In relation to the red lines I did figure it out eventually, incase anyone stumbles across this in future:
  • A highlighted red line means the option isn't available with the current target or selected options.
  • Shift-a toggles the visibility of these lines
  • ? provides further info on the option and why it is not available. For example you can't redirect the console to USB if you also have tinyusb enabled.

Code: Select all

depends on IDF_TARGET_ESP32S2(=y) && !USB_ENABLED(=y) && <choice ESP_CONSOLE_UART>