Simple error when trying to build from source

All ESP32 boards running MicroPython.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP32 board.
kd4pba

Simple error when trying to build from source

Post by kd4pba » Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:28 am

I seem to be going in circles lol.

Having done this for the STM32 , I wanted to see if I could build for esp32.

I am following this;
https://github.com/micropython/micropyt ... orts/esp32

however I seem to have done something wrong;

Creating a new Python environment in /home/chris/.espressif/python_env/idf4.4_py3.10_env
WARNING: No metadata found in /home/chris/.local/lib/python3.10/site-packages
ERROR: Could not install packages due to an OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/usr/local/lib/python3.10/dist-packages/_distutils_hack'
Consider using the `--user` option or check the permissions.

RuntimeError: failed seed with code 1
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/chris/Downloads/src/micropython/boards/esp32/esp-idf/tools/idf_tools.py", line 1828, in <module>
main(sys.argv[1:])
File "/home/chris/Downloads/src/micropython/boards/esp32/esp-idf/tools/idf_tools.py", line 1824, in main
action_func(args)
File "/home/chris/Downloads/src/micropython/boards/esp32/esp-idf/tools/idf_tools.py", line 1524, in action_install_python_env
subprocess.check_call([sys.executable, '-m', 'virtualenv', '--seeder', 'pip', idf_python_env_path],
File "/usr/lib/python3.10/subprocess.py", line 369, in check_call
raise CalledProcessError(retcode, cmd)
subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command '['/usr/bin/python', '-m', 'virtualenv', '--seeder', 'pip', '/home/chris/.espressif/python_env/idf4.4_py3.10_env']' returned non-zero exit status 1.

So i tried sudo and everything completed ok but as I got further down to run make
make -C mpy-cross

I realized there is nothing to make where I am. I tried just removing the directory, starting a new shell and starting over but I seem to get the same results.

Not really sure where I got of course. I am still learning python so I may simply be misunderstanding how to properly set up the environment.

jimmo

Re: Simple error when trying to build from source

Post by jimmo » Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:38 am

I'm not quite sure what's going wrong here but the error is in the ESP IDF script. I wonder if perhaps you don't have a necessary dependency and it's trying to install it for you. You definitely shouldn't need to run it with sudo.

Have you done all the steps at https://docs.espressif.com/projects/esp ... setup.html (especially including the necessary dependencies).
kd4pba wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:28 am
So i tried sudo and everything completed ok but as I got further down to run make
make -C mpy-cross
This needs to be run from the top level of the micropython repo.