station.scan() issue on ESP32

All ESP32 boards running MicroPython.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP32 board.
Mystic

Re: station.scan() issue on ESP32

Post by Mystic » Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:24 am

Hi Dave ..
I have found your PM now ..
Thanks

glenn20

Post by glenn20 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:55 pm

Mystic wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:06 am
Can anyone shed some light on this issue and help identyify where the problem might be and solution to this ??
I don't know if this is the source of your problems... but.... there is a very recent patch in micropython master branch for network_wlan_scan() which fixes an internal problem that occurs if a scan returns no results. The commit suggests it will cause an exception, but it is conceivable that it may also cause a NULL pointer dereference crashing micropython.

If you think this might the problem, you could try one of the nightly build micropython images, but be aware you may be taking on board other instabilities using non-release code.

Good luck...

Mystic

Post by Mystic » Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:46 pm

Thank you for that
It does make sense as it seems a lot like what is happenning
I will bear that in mind
I will prefer to stay with the stable version of MicroPython for now so as not to introduce and new possible issues and address this issue and possible other issues using an internal and external watchdog timer as that will allow me to automatically recover from any such issue or issues that I am not aware of yet
I will however track any issue / reset to ensure I do not let issues that can be fixed just keep resetting the processor