ESP-32: device is busy

All ESP32 boards running MicroPython.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP32 board.
sc0urge

ESP-32: device is busy

Post by sc0urge » Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:54 pm

Hello there,
I recently bought a esp32 cam module and am currently trying to use it with micropython. When flashing or erasing the firmware there is no problem, when I however try to connect to it nothing happens (when using putty) or I get a error message that says device is busy when trying to put python code onto it using for example Thonny. REPL doesnt work either. I tried reinstalling the firmware, restarting my PC, but nothing worked. The Firmware I was initially using was a custom micropython build that is compatible with the cam, neither it, nor the standard micropython firmware works.
Thanks in advance

Roberthh

Re: ESP-32: device is busy

Post by Roberthh » Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:05 pm

In putty you could try to set rts and dtr both low (or high). Maybe the vendor want to save a few pennies and omitted the mode switch transistors.

sc0urge

Post by sc0urge » Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:48 pm

Do you mean changing the flow control to rts or dtr under Connection>Serial? I tried doing so but nothing changed, still a completely empty terminal.

Roberthh

Post by Roberthh » Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:37 pm

Yup. That was just a guess, since sometime that is the problem. Is there also no communication if Putt yis connected and you push the reset button?

sc0urge

Post by sc0urge » Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:57 pm

Unfortunately not, nothing happens. There is an led on the shield that allows me to connect it via micro usb, it does not do anything either when pressing the reset button, but perhaps this is normal. When researching I heard about the issue that the esp-32 cam is unicore and Thonny is multicore (I do not know if that information is accurate) but since putty doesn't work either that's most likely not the issue. My guess is that the board is simply broken since I followed different guides with the exact same firmware and still I am running into these issues