Does the ESP32-CAM work with the WebRepl?

All ESP32 boards running MicroPython.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP32 board.
modulusmath

Does the ESP32-CAM work with the WebRepl?

Post by modulusmath » Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:13 am

Hi All. I have a few of the AI-thinker style ESP32-CAM-MB's and pulled off the little -MB/connecter to put the cam on a breadboard.

However, I can't get either of the cams to broadcast their SSID. The webrepl_setup runs fine w/o any errors but but cannot see the default SSID starting with "MicroPython-" using any of my mobile phones. I have gone as far a reflashing to a "plain" esp32 using the -MB helper board and connecting it to nothing, just plan esp32-cam freshly booted after flashing .

I was able to use the "webrepl_cli.py" to pull down a file from the cam on my PC but I could not interact w/the webrepl using a browser from the same PC - it says connected but I don't get a response when typing (used Chrome and FF) on Linux/Ubuntu.

For now I guess the quick question is - any reason to think the CAM won't support the webrepl?

Thanks!

modulusmath

Re: Does the ESP32-CAM work with the WebRepl?

Post by modulusmath » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:12 pm

I think I confused 2 different topics. In short I thought the webrepl was linked using / broadcast an SSID.

I stumbled on to

https://www.srccodes.com/setup-web-repl ... llo-world/

import network;
ap = network.WLAN(network.AP_IF);
ap.active(True)
ap.config(essid='BLAH_BLAH_', authmode=network.AUTH_WPA_WPA2_PSK, password='12345678')
print(ap.ifconfig())
print(ap.config('essid'))
Funnily enough if you read the comment some of the users there also had the same experience :D

Suffice it to say "ap.active(True)" seems to be the key line here.

I can see the SSID on my ESP-32-CAM and ESP32 now.

Just wanted to post this in case some one else had a similar experience.