My LoPy board arrived

All ESP32 boards running MicroPython.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP32 board.
User avatar
rcolistete
Posts: 177
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:12 pm
Location: Brazil

Re: My LoPy board arrived

Post by rcolistete » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:25 pm

pfalcon wrote:
rcolistete wrote: IMHO, it is nonsense to try to hide one of two great MicroPython 2016 announcements (ESP8266 with MicroPython & LoPy in January/February 2016) from the MicroPython community.
Then you must have been sitting under the rock, because everyone on this forum knew about that yet in January/February: http://forum.micropython.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1350.
I've commented in the above topic, so I am well aware of all topics citing LoPy, etc, in this forum.
pfalcon wrote:However, if LoPy creators decided to create their own forum, it's their right, and owners of this forum hopefully won't try to proactively interfere with their desire to consolidate "their" users. This forum remains about all things MicroPython, and if practice shows that there's considerable share of LoPy, etc. users on this forum in 6-12 month, a dedicated section specifically for them will be explicitly designated.
I think the opposite : better promote MicroPython attracting new users (from new boards) to his forum, to do so, make it more attractive (.e.g, create sections for MCU boards with many users).
BBC Micro:bit is an example, where IMHO the BBC Micro:bit section in this forum should be created 4 months before (in May when it was hot news in UK, maybe some of them could cite this forum and attract thousands of views).
Proposing to wait 6-12 months to create a LoPy section here is a bad joke as IoT MCU boards has some months (12 ?) of commercial life cycle.
Being slow (months do decide simple things, etc) in the IoT world is like asking to continue to be or become small (MicroPython as a plataform versus other ones).

User avatar
bmarkus
Posts: 111
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:58 am

Re: My LoPy board arrived

Post by bmarkus » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:30 pm

pfalcon wrote:
It would be good to have a dedicated subforum for LoPy talks.
Pycon created dedicated forum on their site, so I don't think it would be friendly action to create a section here, unless there will be *really* many people who want to talk about LoPy on this forum and not on that. In the meantime, as pointed, WiPy forum should be the best place for related topics.
I see your point. However LoPy is a MicroPython board and for sure most of its owners are new to MycroPython. Regarding generic MicroPython questions this forum is much better than the LoPy forum due to the existing community and knowledge base on MicroPython itself.
Last edited by bmarkus on Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tiny Core Linux (piCore) developer
HAM radio call: HA5DI (Béla)

User avatar
rcolistete
Posts: 177
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:12 pm
Location: Brazil

Re: My LoPy board arrived

Post by rcolistete » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:36 pm

Frida wrote:
rcolistete wrote:2x for a LoPy section in this forum, like the one for WiPy.

Please, measure the free RAM after login (or reset) with :

Code: Select all

import micropython
micropython.mem_info()
or :

Code: Select all

import gc
gc.mem_free()
and share with us.

Code: Select all

>>> 
>>> import micropython
>>> micropython.mem_info()
stack: 3221402640
GC: total: 192064, used: 1312, free: 190752
 No. of 1-blocks: 16, 2-blocks: 6, max blk sz: 16, max free sz: 11912
>>> import gc
>>> gc.
__name__        collect         disable         enable
isenabled       mem_free        mem_alloc       threshold
>>> gc.mem_free()
190592
>>>
Thanks a lot. I've updated the topic "Free RAM on MicroPython boards" with your free RAM measure on LoPy.
The confirmation of almost 200 KB (186 KB) of free RAM, almost the double of Pyboard (84-100 KB), and a lot more than ESP8266 (20-22 KB) and BBC Micro:bit (8-9 KB), will allow porting some larger Python 3 modules to MicroPython which were impossible before.

User avatar
Frida
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:20 pm
Location: Middelfart, Denmark

Re: My LoPy board arrived

Post by Frida » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:52 pm

Funny. Is that out-of-the-package, or after firmware update as recommended? Try running following code:
It is after firmware update.

Code: Select all

>>> ets Jun  8 2016 00:22:57

rst:0x1 (POWERON_RESET),boot:0x13 (SPI_FAST_FLASH_BOOT)
ets Jun  8 2016 00:22:57

rst:0x10 (RTCWDT_RTC_RESET),boot:0x13 (SPI_FAST_FLASH_BOOT)
configsip: 0, SPIWP:0x00
clk_drv:0x00,q_drv:0x00,d_drv:0x00,cs0_drv:0x00,hd_drv:0x00,wp_drv:0x00
mode:QIO, clock div:2
load:0x3fff9010,len:8
load:0x3fff9018,len:312
load:0x40078000,len:2352
load:0x4009f000,len:1196
entry 0x4009f2d8
frc2_timer_task_hdl:3ffd2704, prio:22, stack:2048
tcpip_task_hdlxxx : 3ffd7224, prio:18,stack:2048
pp_task_hdl : 3ffdb520, prio:23, stack:8192
mode : softAP(24:0a:c4:00:8c:2d)
dhcp server start:(ip: 192.168.4.1, mask: 255.255.255.0, gw: 192.168.4.1)
dhcp server start:(ip: 192.168.4.1, mask: 255.255.255.0, gw: 192.168.4.1)
MicroPython f5444c7 on 2016-10-12; LoPy with ESP32
Type "help()" for more information.
>>> 
>>> def foo():
...     foo()
...     
...     
... 
>>> 
>>> foo()
***ERROR*** A stack overflow in taskMicroPyhas been detected.
ets Jun  8 2016 00:22:57

rst:0x7 (TG0WDT_SYS_RESET),boot:0x13 (SPI_FAST_FLASH_BOOT)
configsip: 0, SPIWP:0x00
clk_drv:0x00,q_drv:0x00,d_drv:0x00,cs0_drv:0x00,hd_drv:0x00,wp_drv:0x00
mode:QIO, clock div:2
load:0x3fff9010,len:8
load:0x3fff9018,len:312
load:0x40078000,len:2352
load:0x4009f000,len:1196
entry 0x4009f2d8
frc2_timer_task_hdl:3ffd2704, prio:22, stack:2048
tcpip_task_hdlxxx : 3ffd7224, prio:18,stack:2048
pp_task_hdl : 3ffdb494, prio:23, stack:8192
mode : softAP(24:0a:c4:00:8c:2d)
dhcp server start:(ip: 192.168.4.1, mask: 255.255.255.0, gw: 192.168.4.1)
dhcp server start:(ip: 192.168.4.1, mask: 255.255.255.0, gw: 192.168.4.1)
MicroPython f5444c7 on 2016-10-12; LoPy with ESP32
Type "help()" for more information.
>>> 
After foo(), it restart again.
Yes Frida is my watchdog!

User avatar
pythoncoder
Posts: 3848
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:01 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: My LoPy board arrived

Post by pythoncoder » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:45 am

pfalcon wrote:...However, if LoPy creators decided to create their own forum, it's their right...
A factor in this is that @Danicampora has made it clear that official support is to be on their forum http://forum.micropython.org/viewtopic. ... 0&start=40. MicroPython users coming here are likely to assume that official support will be available, and one of the great strengths of MicroPython has been the great level of support that you, Damien and others have provided. It would be a shame to compromise that.

To avoid frustration and reputational damage I think that subforums lacking official support should have suitable titles highlighting their "unofficial" nature with permanent prominent labelling pointing users to the appropriate official support forum.
Peter Hinch

pfalcon
Posts: 1155
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:05 pm

Re: My LoPy board arrived

Post by pfalcon » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:15 pm

pythoncoder wrote:MicroPython users coming here are likely to assume that official support will be available, and one of the great strengths of MicroPython has been the great level of support that you, Damien and others have provided. It would be a shame to compromise that.
Well, this forum is great because there're many knowledgeable people here (and not only about MicroPython directly), willing to answer questions. I'm personally well behind on answering questions myself (for very obvious reason - we took just too many stretch goals at the last Kickstarter, so they now need to be developed), and glad the forum is alive and kicking. So, if these dedicated people (most of whom has LoPy just as many other MicroPython boards) will decide to discuss LoPy here, then well, there will be some kind of LoPy support here too, and later maybe even dedicated forum. I'm saddened by the fact that some people don't understand that it's not really friendly to make your garage sale on the same day your neighbor announced theirs, but then well, there're just forum participants which can have any opinions, and owners/moderators, who need to think about it all.
Awesome MicroPython list
Pycopy - A better MicroPython https://github.com/pfalcon/micropython
MicroPython standard library for all ports and forks - https://github.com/pfalcon/micropython-lib
More up to date docs - http://pycopy.readthedocs.io/

Damien
Site Admin
Posts: 625
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:02 pm

Re: My LoPy board arrived

Post by Damien » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:32 am

Pycom want to build their user base with their own forum, offering official support for their hardware. I'd like to let them do that.

But, unless they release their source code for the LoPy et al, I suspect an independent open source port of uPy to the ESP32 will surface sooner or later. That would be a shame, to have such duplication/split, but I think it's inevitable.

If there is an open source version, then it would make sense for this forum to have a section for it.

User avatar
pythoncoder
Posts: 3848
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:01 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: My LoPy board arrived

Post by pythoncoder » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:26 pm

Damien wrote:...unless they release their source code for the LoPy et al, I suspect an independent open source port of uPy to the ESP32 will surface sooner or later. That would be a shame, to have such duplication/split, but I think it's inevitable.

If there is an open source version, then it would make sense for this forum to have a section for it.
Absolutely, I'm looking forward to it already.

My concern is this. Anyone coming to this forum and looking at the level of frustration evident (since its inception) in the WiPy section might draw a wholly unwarranted and negative conclusion about the quality of MicroPython support. Now that Pycom has withdrawn official support, and we have further subforums devoted to their products, this forum will become even more of a two-tier environment. To avoid confusion and disappointment I think it should be made evident which subforums have official backing and which are unofficial discussion groups.

It should also be clarified which platforms have sourcecode in the official MicroPython repository. While it's self evident that nobody can support code to which they have no access, this may not be clear to new users of Pycom products who'll see the word MicroPython and head here. I advocate clarification as being in the interests of everyone including Pycom.

Well, that's my two penn'orth. It is, of course, up to you guys how to proceed.
Peter Hinch

Damien
Site Admin
Posts: 625
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:02 pm

Re: My LoPy board arrived

Post by Damien » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:34 pm

pythoncoder wrote: Now that Pycom has withdrawn official support ...
I assume you refer to WiPy 1.0? Can you please point me to their statement to this effect?

User avatar
pythoncoder
Posts: 3848
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:01 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: My LoPy board arrived

Post by pythoncoder » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:45 pm

Damien wrote:I assume you refer to WiPy 1.0? Can you please point me to their statement to this effect?
In http://forum.micropython.org/viewtopic. ... 0&start=40 @danicampora stated "At this moment we just don't have enough resources to post in both forums." I took that to mean this forum as a whole rather than any specific subforum.
Peter Hinch

Post Reply