Adafruit HUZZAH32 – ESP32 Feather Board

All ESP32 boards running MicroPython.
Target audience: MicroPython users with an ESP32 board.
slzatz

Adafruit HUZZAH32 – ESP32 Feather Board

Post by slzatz » Fri May 12, 2017 1:59 pm

Has anyone gotten their hands on this board and successfully loaded Micropython? I know there is a separate micropython-esp32 repository (not sure why it's separated from the main Micropython repository) and am just wondering whether it runs on this board and what limitations/issues are known.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/3405

Roberthh

Re: Adafruit HUZZAH32 – ESP32 Feather Board

Post by Roberthh » Fri May 12, 2017 2:06 pm

No. I loaded this port to the the sparkfun esp32 thing and wipy 2.0, and both worked. I see no reason why it would not work on the HUzzah32 board. You can also load the WiPy 2.0 image to the esp32 thing, if you want. The advantage of the esp32 is the usb and lipo support on the module, like the Huzzah32.

hugh

Post by hugh » Sat May 27, 2017 7:50 pm

I used esptool.py v2.0-beta3

Have erased flash and loaded the latest micropython bin (esp32-20170524-v1.8.7-786-g51642d7e.bin)

All working fine.

Cheers
Hugh

Almafa65

Post by Almafa65 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:51 am

Can someone help me ? I have an ESP WROOM 32 and I can not erase flash with esptool or upload micropython. I see the board with arduino serial monitor, or ESPlorer , on serial port.
Thank you in advance!

Roberthh

Post by Roberthh » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:52 pm

a) DO you just have the Wroom-32 module or the module assembled on a board? For loading the firmware, GPIO0 must be tied to GND. The Huzzah and ESP32-Thing have circuitry which is set by esptool, which pull GPIO0 low. If you just have the module, you must do that youself.
b) Do you use esptool.py V2?
c) Is the module pyserial installed on your PC?

honestcomrade

Post by honestcomrade » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:40 am

I have been able to load MicroPython onto a new Adafruit HUZZAH32 ESP32 Feather recently. I used Tony DiCola's vagrant file to build a VM and follow the steps of his youtube videos for flashing the firmware (the easier way I suppose). It wasn't the easiest to get done as I ran into some issues at many steps but was able to retrace and eventually after a few sessions got the REPL up over serial.

I have found a lot of the documentation pertaining to this specific board running MicroPython is a bit scattered as it's such a new release but I was able to mostly follow function calls and build processes using ESP8266 tutorials and api docs. I have been able to mess with machine pins in the REPL and got some simple, live PWM output from some LEDS, and that was fairly trivial once everything was up and running. As well I was able to use ampy to copy some new scripts to the device over serial but I haven't dived yet into moving files like libraries over there. My main hangup now is getting the SSD1306 to work over I2C as I am unsure of the current practice for moving it's library onto the machine (the .mpy file). I will follow up over the next few weeks as I make progress. Lemme know if theres anything I can answer.

BTW I did use the micropython-esp32 repository for this and although it's development seems to be focused on parity with ESP8266, there are some differences that have made some tutorials defunct in my experience.

Good luck!

Capstan

Post by Capstan » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:32 pm

honestcomrade wrote:My main hangup now is getting the SSD1306 to work over I2C as I am unsure of the current practice for moving it's library onto the machine (the .mpy file).
I've been working with the ESP32 Espressif reference board (purchased it from Adafruit a few months ago) and it has been working much like the ESP8266 for me. I expect the Feather behaves very similar. You can send .mpy files to it with ampy, just like you would a .py file. I can flash the firmware on it (over USB) with the same esptool command I use for the 8266.

I've been able to successfully drive a couple of kinds of I2C sensors with it too, same exact code that was running on the 8266 (except using a different pair of pins).